A Scholar and A Gentleman

Comenzar desde el principio

"I have a favor to ask you." She said in a rush.

His eyebrows rose. "What would that be?"

She cleared her throat. "I'd like to know if you could go to your family and ask if they have seen Behati."

His eyebrows furrowed a moment.

"That would mean that you would be alone. I don't like the sound of that." He spoke in a disapproving tone as he looked at her.

She sighed. "I know but I'm not a child. I lived here for months before meeting you, remember? I'll be fine."

"I know you're not a child. I'm not saying that you are totally helpless but let's not forget the last time you let you're guard down. It almost cost you your life and if I hadn't been there..." He left it unsaid but his eyes shone with some unknown emotion.

"I know but it'll be different this time." She bit her lip.

He stepped closer until they were almost touching. His unique scent reached her nose. He took a deep breath and released it.

"Although I don't want to leave you, we can come to a compromise. I will go to my family and check for your friend. In return, you do not go outside. I'll leave you enough food and water for a few days."

Penny chewed her lip as she thought about it. She was a little exasperated that he wouldn't let her go out but he also had a point.

She sighed. "Deal."

She was starting to turn when she felt his warm hand wrap around her wrist, causing her to turn back.

"There's something I need your help with."

"Name it."

"Would you help me cut my hair and shave? I think a change of my appearance is long overdue." He said somewhat shyly.

She smiled and nodded. "I can shave your beard now and when you get back we'll work on your make-over for your hair."

"Make-over? What does that mean?" His nose scrunched up in confusion.

Penny stood on her tippy toes and pinched his cheek.

"It means changing your appearance." She laughed then turned to grab them some fruit for lunch.

After they ate, Zane set off to get more fruit and make sure she had enough. While he was gone, Penny busied herself with tidying up then sat at the desk. She found herself thinking about how she would shave his beard. She looked in her backpack and found small towels as well as scissors and a small knife in the med kit. They would have to go outside. She blew out a breath. Going outside and back in would be easier if there was a ramp or stairs to the hut. What they needed was to build some sort of bridge or stairs to the hut. And a door on the side. She'd talk to Zane about it.

Zane returned an hour later with what she thought was way too much food but she didn't say anything. She started helping him put them away.

"Zane. I've been thinking if we could make some changes to the hut. It would make it easier for me to get in with a bridge or stairs and a door on the side."

He had his head cocked, watching her.

"Hmmm. Can you draw me a picture? I can think of something once I see what it should look like." He said as he thought.

"Sure. And when you get back, we can start on it. Let's work on your beard." She said as they finished stacking the fruit.

Thirty minutes later they were outside with Zane in a chair and her supplies set up on a small table next to him. She had a small bowl of warm water that they had boiled over a fire. She dipped a towel into it and wrung it out. She turned to face him.