A Scholar and A Gentleman

.

.

.

True to what she determined, Zane was speaking in sentences after a couple of weeks. It astonished her how fast he caught on. The fact that she had to stay cooped up and heal also helped. Almost all day was spent teaching him. Although he learned how to speak and some basic manners that people practiced, he was still naive in many other parts.

He liked to follow her around and look over her shoulder a lot too. He learned a lot of human behaviors by watching her. She in turn explained everything she did. It was strange how close they became after so little time together. They shared stories with each other about how they were raised. What they liked to do. What they didn't like. Soon they both knew each other as if they had been friends all their lives. They both grew comfortable enough around each other and hugged quiet often but he hadn't rubbed his face on her again. She tried not feel the anticipation that he would ever do it again, but the expectation was always there. 

While She healed, Zane took it upon himself to gather and prepare their meals. He provided not only food for her but also share his jar of mint and honey to clean her teeth. He told her of all his ape family. Especially Asha, his mother. Penny then realized that the supposed intelligent gorillas her team had come to research were his family. He had taught them so many things that gorillas didn't normally do. She in turn told him of her life and Mr. Connell's arranged marriage. The concept of marriage took some explaining because Zane didn't understand why people went through a 'ritual' to say they loved each other and bind themselves. Then he became upset when he realized she was being forced to marry. He told her he'd protect her. She was touched that he wanted to help but didn't want him to get hurt because of her.

She was having a hard time fighting her growing attraction to him. For one, he probably didn't feel the same. Secondly, even if he did...how fair would it be to him? She was the only woman outside of here that he had met. He deserved to explore the vast world that he had been deprived. And find love naturally. Not have a relationship thrown on him. So she tucked away the feeling. Sometimes it was very difficult. Like, moments at night when they sat by candle light and he read to her. His handsome face illuminated by the soft glow of fire.

It was in those moments she almost confessed how she was beginning to feel about him. She had almost told him about the Barnett dairy as well. There was only one thing stopping her. What if he was the Barnett baby? She wasn't sure how he would take it. To learn that his parents had died a horrible way and had had no choice but to give their child to apes in hopes that he would live. It would hurt him in some way. She was sure. And because she felt that it would cause him pain, she kept that locked up tight too.

°

She was waiting for him to return. Since he had come into her life, it seemed that she was always eagerly waiting for him. The scar on her thigh still felt itchy and her hand twitched with the desire to scratch. She sighed and began to pace the hut. Although limping around would be more accurate. She had been thinking a lot of Behati lately. She already told Zane about her and he had assured her that her gorilla friend would be fine but she couldn't stop worrying. She had hinted for them to try and look for her but he had told her she still needed to heal. The thump of his feet and whoosh of air announced that he had returned.

She turned and went to watch him stack the fruit he had gathered in a corner.

"Hey." She said.

He turned his head up. He gave her a half smile. It was hard to see through his heavy beard but it was there.

"Yes?"

"Well....remember how I was talking about Behati?"

He nodded and stood. Now under his full attention, she squirmed a bit.