Rico Suave

She woke to Eddie shaking her awake.

"Rise and shine, Penn. We gotta get going."

"Uhhhh.....it feels too early to wake up." She complained as she stretched and sat up.

Eddie laughed. "Oh, it is but Zane insists that we start early."

At his name she blinked the sleep from her eyes and looked around. No Zane to be found. She frowned and got up to pack up.

"He went ahead to make sure we're still on track. He'll be back soon." Eddie said as he packed too.

She stuck her tongue out at him and helped him then went over to see if Gus needed help. Gus was a fairly quiet man but he accepted her help. Sandra was still getting her beauty sleep but after another thirty minutes, Gus woke her.

Zane slipped into camp as everyone was taking turns using the restroom before they set off. Penny had convinced Eddie to let her wear his pack for today and she waited by the rock they had used for shelter. She felt her nerves on end as Zane approached.

"Can I speak to you alone?"

Penny looked at him and shook her head.

"Another time. We should get going."

Zane gave her a narrow eyed look but nodded and didn't argue. Soon he was leading them through the jungle once more.

This time Penny had ended up sandwiched between Eddie and Gus. Sandra of course was talking Zane's ear off again.

To her surprise Gus joined in her conversation with Eddie about what food they missed the most.

"What's the first thing you'll eat when you go back home?" Penny asked Gus.

Gus thought about it a moment.

"Pasta. I love it. What about you?"

Penny groaned as she thought of her favorite comfort food.

"A hamburger and fries from a small diner. Family restaurants have the best food." Penny sighed.

Gus laughed at her dreamy expression and she swatted him playfully.

"What about you, Eddie?" She asked with a laugh.

"Fish and chips." He said smiling. "Speaking of food....oy mate! Can we  stop a moment and eat?" He said to Zane.

Zane turned and stopped. His eyes glided over them all and stopped on Penny.

"A few moments. Then we have to move on."

Penny let out a sigh of relieve and moved to take off Eddie's pack. In her haste she didn't see a root protruding out of the ground and tripped. Gus grabbed her and helped her sit down. Penny thanked him and turned her head to the side. She saw Zane staring her intensely. His jaw ticked then he turned and grabbed fruit from Sandra's pack to give everyone. When he got to Penny, he lingered but left.

Sandra was of course right by Zane and talking with him. Gus had left to relieve himself. Eddie leaned into her arm.

"So what's the verdict on your situation. Are you going to say anything?" He whispered.