Chapter 8: The Ruin

Start from the beginning

"So, when're you going to take that thing off?" Cara suddenly asks, causing Din to look from the village to her.

"My helmet?" Din responds, his voice revealing his shock at her random question.

"Yeah," Cara confirms. "Aren't you going to finally show her what you look like, and settle down here with your new family?"

Din's chest warms at the idea of a new family—especially with you—but the idea of completely giving up his Creed is something that's very foreign to him. He contemplates her words, looking back to you again as he does so. You're laughing as the child spits out a frog it's captured in its mouth, and the other children laugh with you. The warmth in his chest grows.

"It's pretty obvious, buddy," Cara informs her friend. "You just met your soulmate, and she's already bonded with your kid."

Din chews on her words for a moment, unable to deny the truth. "I know." His modulated voice is strained with indecision as he speaks. He pauses before he continues. "But I'm still skeptical."

Cara looks at Din with confusion. "About her? You have to be kidding."

"No, not about her. Absolutely not." Din sighs, looking back over at Cara. "About our safety here. I'm not fully convinced that they're safe, even out here. I can't risk leaving behind the Creed if danger's still looming."

Cara raises an eyebrow at Din. "Well, if nothing's happened yet... you're probably fine."

"We raised some hell here, Cara. That's a lot of action for a place like this. Once word gets out... they're bound to be suspicious."

Cara takes another sip of her spotchka, looking back to where Din had been before. "Maybe you should talk to her. See what she wants. She's a very bright one."

Din nods, looking back to you as well. "Yeah. She really is." Din decides to take Cara's advice, releasing another breath as he stands up from the wall. He steps off the porch and walks in your direction, feeling his heart beat just a bit faster at the thought of approaching you. The effect you have on him is stronger than he's ever felt before—and, although it scares him, he can't get enough of it.

"Excuse me?" Din says, interrupting your play session with the children. You look up at him right away, rising from where you've been sitting among the children. "Can I talk to you for a moment?"

"Of course," you agree softly, and he senses some concern in your tone as he leads you away from the children. He takes you somewhere secluded, making sure you can both have your privacy as he speaks honestly to you. He notes that you're both standing closer to each other than necessary.

"It's very nice here," Din begins with an obvious observation.

"Very nice," you agree with a small giggle.

"I can tell you both like it here. You seem very happy."

You tilt your head as you look up at him. "What about you?"

Din feels a tug at his heart. He's not used to being asked for his take on things. "Me?"

"Do you like it here? Are you happy?"

"Very much so."

You smile, never breaking your gaze with him as you go on. "So, you want to stay?"

Din sighs, feeling even more conflicted at the sight of the excitement you have in your eyes at the possibility of staying. "I would love to. But I'm still not sure."

"Why not?"

"I'm not fully convinced that it's safe here. The news about the AT-ST will travel quickly."