"Thanks," I replied. My smile fell when I detected the hint of sadness in his voice. "Are you okay?" 

He cleared his throat. "Yeah, yeah, I'm fine." 

"Okay," I said. "We should get going. Busy day." 

"Of course. I'll talk to you later," he answered. "Bye, Anna." 

"Bye, Steve," I said before ending the call and turning to Bucky. He sent me a saddened smile and wrapped me in a hug. 

***

"How's that?" Bucky asked, propping another pillow behind my back.

I nodded. "That's better. Thanks, love." I smiled up at him before taking the bowl of popcorn and placing it on my swollen belly. I clutched my phone between my shoulder and my ear as I continued my conversation with my brother. "I actually passed the 8,5-month mark this week. I can't wait for her to arrive," I told him.

"I can imagine. I'm really excited to meet my niece too," he said. "So, I went out with that one girl from the group last night." 

"Really? How did that go?" I asked, popping a piece of popcorn in my mouth.

He sighed tiredly. "It was awful, Anna." 

"What? Why?" 

"I kept looking for things America used to do, things she used to say. I couldn't focus at all." 

I let out a soft breath. "I'm sorry to hear that, Steve." 

"Oh, well. It's fine," he said. "Anyway, has Buck finished the nursery yet or do you need help with it?" 

"He's been fighting with the crib for days so if you could come by somewhere this week to help out, that'd be amazing," I said. 

"I've got time on Wednesday, how's that?" he asked. 

"Yeah, that's fine. You can even stay over. We could have a barbeque night," I suggested. 

"Sounds great. I'll be there!" he said, excitement returning in his voice. 

"Alright, see you then, Steve," I said. 

"See you soon!" 

I ended the call, tossing my phone on the coffee table before pressing play on the movie Bucky and I had been watching. I placed my feet in his lap and sent him a grin, making him roll his eyes before he started to gently massage my ankles, attempting to reduce the swelling. 

"Shouldn't we have discussed names by now?" Bucky spoke up after half an hour. 

I puckered my lips, placing the empty bowl on the table and sitting up, for as far as this was possible. "I've been thinking about it for a while now, actually," I started. "I don't know how you feel about it but I would love it if we named her after America somehow." 

Bucky smiled softly. "I love that idea." 

"You do?" I asked. 

"Yeah, I do," he said, nodding. 

***

"Oh, Anna, she's beautiful," Steve whispered as she was crouched down by the crib of mine and Bucky's daughter. "She looks like you." He traced his finger over her tiny head. 

"What's her name?" Natasha asked. 

"Lyra Valeria Barnes," I said, smiling.

Steve's eyes widened. "Y-You named her after Mer?" 

I nodded and he smiled widely. He wrapped me in a hug. "Thank you," he whispered. 

I patted his back. "Would you like to hold her?" I asked, pulling back.

A smile spread across his face. "Of course," he said and I gently lifted my daughter from her crib. Her bright blue eyes opened and she looked up at me. I smiled. 

"Hi, baby," I cooed before placing her in my brother's arms. He held her as if she might break but after a few seconds, he visibly relaxed.

"I'll give you some time," Natasha said softly, placing a hand on my shoulder and giving it a small squeeze. I sent her a smile and she left the room, leaving me and Steve with my daughter, who had fallen back asleep, letting out tiny puffs of air. 

"Anna, can I tell you something?" Steve asked. 

"You can tell me anything, Steve, you know that," I answered.

"Back when Nat, Sam, Mer and I were in Italy, when we were on the run, Mer got pregnant," he started and my eyes widened. "She lost the baby in a fight with a local gang." He lowered his eyes and refused to look at me. "When she told me, all I could think of was, 'I was going to be a dad'." 

"Steve, I'm so sorry," I whispered. "You can still be a dad, you know? You just have to find someone." 

He shook his head. "There will never be anyone like her again."