«Chapter 41»

A N N A ' S   P O V

A N N A ' S   P O V

The soft, murmuring voices near my head is what woke me up from my deep slumber. My head pounded lightly and my throat felt dry, but other than that, I didn't feel any pain. Slowly but surely, I pulled apart my eyelids that felt as if they were made of stone. 

Three young children with colourful paint on their faces were hunched over my body, their eyes filled with curiosity. As soon as I fully opened my eyes and breathed in deeply, they fled the room I was in.

I tried pushing myself up on my elbows but realised one of my arms was gone. I stared at it for a full minute before I remembered what had happened to it.

Using my right hand to sit up on the bed, I found I was in a hut of some sort. The skins of animals were on the walls, along with musical instruments that didn't look familiar to me.

I looked down and saw the attire I was dressed in. The white garments I had been in when I went under were replaced by orange and purple robes that I didn't recognise. They were comfortable, though. My long, brown hair was loosely braided and lay flat against my back.

The sound of children's giggles came from outside and a female voice asked, "Are you playing around with that woman again?" 

"No!" the children exclaimed. 

"You're teasing her again, aren't you?" 

I pushed myself off the bed and stumbled for a second before I regained my balance. I exited the hut and blinked against the bright sunlight. A group of children stood beside a dark-skinned girl near the wide-stretched lake ahead of me.

The girl shooed the children away in a playful manner. They sprinted past me, shouting words in a language I didn't understand. I slowly walked up to the girl who stood by the shore of a wide lake. 

"Good morning, Agent Rogers," she greeted me, a slight accent lacing her words.

"Anna," I corrected her softly.

She nodded. "How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Good," I said. "Thank you." 

She smiled. "Come," she told me, placing a hand on my arm. "Much more for you to learn." 

I looked back at the hut I had come out of before following her. We walked past the lake and into the forest beside it. A figure stood, waiting for us, in the middle of a field, and my heartbeat quickened. "Bucky," I whispered and he smiled. 

"Hey, doll," he said, opening his arms and I hugged him as tightly as I could with one arm. 

"You stayed," I said quietly. 

"Of course, I stayed," he said. "How are you? Are you feeling better?"

I nodded. "I'm feeling much better." I smiled. "How long was I out?"