«Chapter 4»

S T E V E ' S   P O V 

"I don't know if I can do this," I huffed while looking in the mirror. 

"Of course you can. This is what you signed up for, isn't it?" Anna said while brushing off my shoulders. 

I sighed. "Not exactly." 

"Well, you're the American hero now," she said. "Suck it up." 

"This is not how I imagined getting there." 

"Come on, Steve, show a little enthusiasm. Your experiment worked, and you wanted a job in the army. Now get your ass out there and do what you were told," Anna said while pushing my mask in my hands. I pulled it over my head and gave myself a last look in the mirror. 

"Here's your shield, text's inside," she said and listened to the music that started playing. "Okay, go!" She pushed me through the curtains and I was met with a giant audience and a group of girls in matching outfits dancing beside me. 

Who's strong and brave, here to save the American Way? 

"Not all of us can storm a beach, or drive a tank. But there's still a way all of us can fight," I read from my shield. 

Who vows to fight like a man for what's right night and day?  

"Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun!" 

Who will campaign door-to-door for America,

Carry the flag shore to shore for America,

From Hoboken to Spokane,

The Star-Spangled Man with a Plan!

We can't ignore there's a threat and a war we must win,

"Each one you buy is a bullet in the barrel of your best guy's gun!"

Who'll hang a noose on the goose-stepping goons from Berlin?

Who will redeem, head the call for America,

Who'll rise or fall, give his all for America,

Who's here to prove that we can?

The Star-Spangled Man with a Plan!

In every city this tour went to, I had to pretend to punch a man dressed as Adolf Hitler in the face. After a few shows, I knew my text, knew what I had to do and could easily do the performance without stuttering or falling over in the floppy shoes I was required to wear.

Stalwart and steady and true,

Forceful and ready to defend the...

Red, White, and Blue!

Everyone in the country was going crazy for Captain America. Yes, my character had gotten a name. Kids were dressing up like me, girls were going crazy when they saw my face and everyone was buying the comics I was in. 

Who'll give the Axis the sack, and is smart as a fox?

Movies were made about me, and with me. Anna was my tour manager, so she came with me everywhere I went. Actors dressed up as soldiers had to slam 'Nazis' down, help me through an ambush and fight HYDRA soldiers. 

Who's making Adolph afraid to step out of his box?

Who woke the giant that napped in America?

The shows were getting bigger and bigger, more background dancers, more actors on stage with me, the music got better and the acting too. Every American was obsessed with Captain America. Or me, I suppose.