«Chapter 25»

Bucky strolled down the street where the market had been yesterday. He kicked a pebble ahead of him as he looked around, hoping to see Anna again. Or Alina, as she apparently called herself now. 

He couldn't believe he had already found her. He expected it to take months if not years to even find a trace of her, but fate brought her to him, and he was over the moon. Even if she didn't remember him.

Maybe she had vanished already. Maybe she thought he was a threat. 

He hated that he didn't speak any Romanian, because it would've looked less suspicious if he talked to her in Romanian. He just understood a tiny bit from those months he spent preparing for his trip. 

At the end of the road, he saw a young woman with brown hair. Her face was too far for him to see, but her build reminded him of Anna. He quickened his step as he chased after her. He pushed people aside, apologising as he did so. The girl turned around. It was Anna. 

Bucky tried to wave, but as he pushed past a tall man, she disappeared. Bucky turned around, trying to find her. 

The next second, a hand wrapped itself around his throat as Anna pushed him harshly against the wall. 

"Anna! Anna, it's me! It's Bucky!" he rambled, struggling to breathe. 

"I don't care. Why are you following me? And who's Anna?" she snarled, squeezing her hand closed around his throat. 

"You're Anna Rogers, my name's Bucky Barnes. You've known me all your life," he told her, and she loosened her grip. He slowly took her hand and pried it away from his neck. 

She stepped back, narrowing her eyes. "What's my birthday?" she asked.

"December 28," Bucky answered without having to think. 

"Year?" 

"1922. You hated how you were younger than your brother even though you spent most of your time being taller and wiser than him." 

Anna squinted. "Give me your phone," she said, holding out her gloved hand. 

"Why-" 

"Just give it to me," she ordered. 

He slowly retracted the device from his pocket and placed it in her palm. She crushed it in her left hand without breaking a sweat. Bucky winced. "Why did you do that?" he asked. 

Anna dropped the pieces to the ground. "I can't risk anyone finding me. If HYDRA knows where I am, they'll come for me. I can't go back there," she answered. 

Bucky nodded. "I understand." 

"Good," she stated. "Have a nice day." 

She turned around but Bucky grabbed her wrist. She swiftly pulled the knife from her boot and held the tip at his throat. "Don't grab me," she warned. 

"I-I'm sorry." He held up his hands. "Just... You can't leave me like this." 

"Why not?" 

"I finally found you again. Can't we go somewhere to talk?" he asked. 

Anna didn't reply. Her blue eyes were cold, empty. She blinked once before stepping back. "No," she said before turning around and blending into the crowd that passed the alley. 

Bucky chased after her, but she was gone. He grumbled frustratedly before heading back to his hotel. He cursed himself for possibly scaring her off. This could've been the last time he ever saw her and he messed it up. And he couldn't even call Steve to let him know he had found her.