Deaths Welcoming Black Wings

I woke up screaming. Clawing at my chest. I looked up and Grim was leaning over me, his eyes staring at me. Still black, but mostly grey, the pupils very dilated.

"Grim" I moan hoarsely. "What's happening to me?" I ask.

"I gave you a part of me.." he whispers. He leans his forehead against mine, and closes his eyes. "It was the only way to save you."

"What is does that mean? What's going to happen to me?" I ask, worried. I look down at my chest, and i am still covered in blood. I lightly push him back, and sit up. I take my shirt off.

There is no gaping hole. There's not even a scar or scratch or anything. I look up at Grim, my eyes wide.

"It means.. you are Death now too." he whispers.

I felt my mouth fall open. i put my hand to my forehead. This is all so much to take in..

"i know you probably didn't want this, but i couldn't let you go.. i'm not ready. I've already broken all the rules. What's another one." He covers his face with his hands.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"I mean.. that i killed a human whose time was not ready. That's why Gabriel was here.. he was sent here. He will keep coming.. until.." he trails off.

"Until what?" I ask, frantic. I grab his face and turn it so he is facing me. "Until what, Grim?"

He keeps his eyes tightly closed. "Until he gives me my punishment.. Death."

"Wait, what? No! Your not supposed to die. You can't die!" I feel tears sliding down my face.

"Yes, i can. There are plenty of others who are more than capable of taking my place. I broke the ultimate rule. Not to kill someone before their time. I couldn't help myself.. he.. he could have killed you. I was so angry.." 

I jump on him, then. Wrapping my arms and legs around him. I bury my face in his neck, and breath in his sweetness. "Then they can take me with you. I won't go on without you."

"Oh, Azriel. You have to. Your..the proof that i was real.. that i existed." He pulls me back, and runs his fingers over my tattoo on my chest. He looks up at me, and i press my lips to his, urgently. He kisses me back, just as urgently.

I pull back. "I have to take a shower.. and get all this blood off me."

"Ok." He whispers.

I get up and grab some fresh clothes from my dresser and walk into the bathroom. I stand in front of the mirror and look at my body. I don't see anything different about me.. I lean forward and look at my eyes.

One is brown.. the other.. black with a slit like a cats, the pupils are.. grey...

So.. he's made me.. half human and half death?

I start hyperventilating.

Grim bursts through the door and wraps his arms around me.

"It's ok," he soothes me. "It's not that bad. You won't have to do anything i do.. it's ok.."

I calm down slightly, and push him out of the bathroom. "I'll be ok now.. i just want a shower.." i am still gasping for breath.

I shut the door in his worried face.

I peal my clothes off and turn the water on hot. I stand beneath the shower head and let the water wash all traces of blood away. But i don't move. I just stand there.

Grim.. i feel an awful sadness radiating from the center of my body. i kneel on the floor of the bathtub and sob.

He is going to leave me one day, and having him so close to death today..

I wrap my arms around my self and continue to cry. I don't want to lose him..