Knife Legs

Within a rather plain-looking room were two spherical objects: a small, hard golf ball and a large, fuzzy tennis ball. In a surprisingly comfortable chair sat the larger of the two as he curiously looked around the room. He looked towards the golf ball sitting across from him. She was turned away, silently reading through some documents she had set on the table next to her. Other than that and his chair, though, the room was completely empty. Some cheap carpeting was spread across the floor, and the walls were painted a rather unappealing yellow-ish beige. The only light in the room came from an old ceiling fan--one with a non-functioning fan, at that.

The room was uncomfortably quiet, with the only sounds to break the dead silence being the rustling of paper every so often. Tennis Ball wasn't even entirely sure what the point of him being there was, which made the silence all the more awkward.

"So..." the green ball began, in an attempt to break the stillness in the room, "What exactly is this all about?"

Golf Ball immediately jumped up in her seat, setting down the paper she had in tandem. She took a moment to adjust her glasses before turning towards Tennis Ball, who was now looking right at her. Tennis Ball was puzzled by the expression she now wore on her face; she seemed rather perplexed.

"DID I NOT ALREADY EXPLAIN?" she asked. Her green friend simply shook his head in response. She glanced to the side for a moment before returning her attention back to Tennis Ball. "I SEE... THEN I SUPPOSE I SHALL DO SO!"

"I'VE BROUGHT YOU HERE TODAY FOR ONE SIMPLE REASON: YOUR DREAMS," Golf Ball began, a smile forming on her face. "I'VE RECENTLY GROWN INTERESTED IN THE CONCEPT OF DREAMS CONTAINING A DEEPER MEANING THAN WHAT MEETS THE EYE. IT IS COMMON KNOWLEDGE THAT, BEING MANIFESTATIONS OF ONE'S OWN EMOTIONS AND EXPERIENCES, SYMBOLS IN DREAMS CAN IMPLICATE CERTAIN MEANINGS THAT ONE MIGHT NOT BE AWARE OF UNDER NORMAL CIRCUMSTANCES."

Hopping down from her seat, she began pacing around the room as she continued, "HOWEVER, MOST ANALYSIS REGARDING THIS ONLY EXTENDS TO NIGHTMARES OR MORE ABSTRACT DREAMS, AND DOES NOT TAKE INTO CONSIDERATION DREAMS OF THE 'SILLY' OR MUNDANE VARIETIES... WHICH IS WHAT THIS IS FOR!"

Tennis Ball glanced around the room once more, as prompted by his friend's exclamation, before returning his attention back to her. "So, you're wanting to prove that any dream can have meaning?" he queried.

"PRECISELY!" Golf Ball affirmed, standing proudly. Hopping back up onto her chair, she turned her attention back toward her fuzzy green friend. "I INTEND TO INVITE EVERYONE DOWN HERE MULTIPLE TIMES OVER THE COURSE OF SEVERAL WEEKS IN ORDER TO GATHER DATA ABOUT THEIR DREAMS, AND I FIGURED YOU WERE THE BEST PLACE TO START!"

A grin grew on Tennis Ball's face; it was always nice seeing her explore new concepts so passionately. Wanting to encourage her intrigue in this subject, he was fully on-board with helping her collect this data. "So what can do?"

"I JUST NEED YOU TO RECOUNT ANY RECENT DREAM YOU'VE HAD TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITY! I'LL WRITE IT DOWN AND WILL BE ABLE TO EXAMINE IT FROM THERE."

"Oh, alright! Hmm..." Tennis Ball thought for a moment. "Oh! A couple nights ago I had a dream about you!"

"OH?" Golf Ball pulled a notepad and a pencil from the table, positioning herself in such a way that allowed herself to write while also being able to remain comfortably seated. "WHAT WAS IT ABOUT?"

"Well," he began, "it was kind of weird, actually! In the dream I had surgically replaced your legs with knives! You seemed to enjoy it a lot though; you were running around and swinging them a lot. You were even chasing around the others and laughing a lot. It seemed like you were having fun with it!"

Golf Ball, who was still seated and writing down the details as her friend recalled them, had a peculiar twinkle in her eye. Her brows were furrowed as she intensely stared down her notepad. Without pulling her eyes away, she asked, "IS THAT EVERYTHING?"

"Umm... Basically, yeah. As far as I can recall, anyway!" Tennis Ball responded. He raised a brow once he noticed the smaller object's strange expression. "Is everything okay?"

There was a long moment of pause as Golf Ball continued to stare at her notepad, eyes locked on the words scribbled onto it. After a few moments, she placed her pad and pencil onto the table and hopped to the floor. Turning her gaze towards Tennis Ball, she approached him, the intensity in her eyes remaining constant.

"KNIFE LEGS... WOULD BE REALLY COOL."

It took a moment for Tennis Ball to process what she had said, but when he did, he let out an amused chuckle. "It looks like real life Golf Ball enjoys it too!"

Even the little ball herself cracked a little giggle before whipping around and making her way back to the chair, a small smile on her face. She briefly went back through the few notes she had written before turning back towards Tennis Ball.

"I APPRECIATE YOUR PARTICIPATION, TB!" she thanked, her voice tinged with excitement and enthusiasm. "I LOOK FORWARD TO HEARING MORE."

"Of course!" Tennis Ball exclaimed, returning a smile. He then saw himself out in order to allow his friend a chance to do what she needs to next.

* * * * * * 

(Week 1 - February 5-7, 2020)

(based off of an actual dream i had!)

my second BFDI fanfic wowie !!! hopefully this turned out okay!! i wanted to try something new, writing-wise; something that isn't just sad or dark and something without an overarching plot!! i'm gonna try and write a new part every week as a fun little writing exercise too!!

i hope you enjoy this!!! hopefully i'll have more next week :]