Chapter 25: Take a Chance. It's a Leap of Faith

Start from the beginning

*Elsewhere*

"Not that I'm weirded out by this....but why exactly did you invite me to eat with you at this cafe?" Airi asked as she added some sugar in her coffee. Airi had finished her work early and was on her way to visit her favourite(and only) cousin when Josuke had suddenly approached her. She couldn't help but notice that the boy looked nervous and very apologetic when speaking to her. She was surprised when he had offered to treat her to lunch at the cafe. Airi knew that there was a reason why Josuke wanted to meet with her and decided to take up the offer.

The whole time they sat and ordered their food, Airi noted that Josuke was getting increasingly nervous about something. "Look, if this about apologising for putting Rohan in the hospital, I've already forgiven you." Airi told him.

"No, it's not that. Well...I mean, I am sorry for that...but that's not why I invited you here." Josuke told her. His face was turning red and he shifted in his seat. "Oh? Then what is it?" She asked him as she took a sip of her coffee. Josuke took a moment to swallow his nervousness and decided to just get it over with and say it outright. He didn't think it would be a good idea to draw it out. Josuke took a deep breath and said very quickly, "I...I want...IwantSayatobemygirlfreind, I'mtoonervoustotalktoherdadsoIthoughtItalktoyou-!"

"Stop!" Airi yelled out, raising her hand to silence him and he took in another breath. The older woman stared at him with a perplex expression. Josuke said that way too fast that she barely got a word in but she did catch one thing. She took another sip of her coffee before staring at the young teen with a serious look. "Alright. Breath...and calmly state your business." She told him.

Josuke took a few deep breaths to calm himself down before speaking up again, more calmly so that he could be understood. "Okay....I...really like Saya. She's kind, brave, a total badass when she wants to be, she's just amazing. I know this might sound weird, but I want to start a relationship with Saya. I came to you because I thought you would be easier to talk to compared to her dad." Josuke told her with a slight blush.

Airi raised a brow at him. "Ah, I get it. I don't blame you, my uncle can be very protective of his little girl. Hahaha! The last time a guy wanted to date Saya, he was ready to snap his spine in half." She laughed at the memory.

"Wait, what?!"

"Relax, that was only because he asked her out behind his back without his permission." Airi said with a casual wave of her hand. "But nowadays, all Uncle wants is for Saya to find someone she can rely on. Someone to take care of her in his place. So I wouldn't worry too much about him ripping your head off, and you seem to be a good kid. Saya often talks about you, you know."

"She does?! What does she say?!" Josuke asked her, suddenly his nervousness disappeared and replaced with intense curiosity when it became apparent that his crush had been talking about him. Airi chuckled at him. "She's been telling about this certain boy in school who is totally unlike the rest. Says that he's cool, kind, and has a very genuine soul. Very cute and handsome at the same time. But that he also has a bit of a wild side of ferocity and a side that screams he's a natural-born fighter. From the way she talks about you, you've captured her full attention. You're her type."

"I am? You think so?" Josuke asked with a blush as he rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassed. His ego was boosted a little knowing that she thinks he's handsome. "Yeah, I think that you might be better than her last-no!" Airi began to say before she immediately shut herself up when she nearly let that piece slip. She hoped Josuke would miss it, but unfortunately, he didn't. "Wait, her last? Did she had a boyfriend before?" Josuke asked.

"Uh..." Airi went as she tried to think of a coverup. "Hey, if she had one before, I don't care. I still want to try and be with her." Josuke told her with confidence. The brown-eyed woman tried to think of something but couldn't. She stared at Josuke as she thought perhaps it would be best to test Josuke by only telling a fraction of Saya's past. If he does care about Saya than she needs to know if he's willing to help her see. Airi let out a sigh and said, "Saya did have a boyfriend before coming here, but the thing is she broke off the relationship after a few weeks. There wasn't anything wrong going on with it from what I've been told, but Saya ended it because...she was afraid."