Leaving

Aki woke up, feeling as if someone was drilling inside his head.

As he was waiting for Liam to come back, he decided to take a walk along the shore. The stillness of the surrounding, save for the sound of crashing waves, lulled him to sleep, and all the emotional rollercoaster he had experienced in the past days came crashing down on him. He was suddenly tired and weary.

Zy came up to him, wanting to chat, but instead, he noted how pale Aki was. Aki did not resist and went back home first. The minute his head touched the pillow, he had already sunk to deep sleep.

When he woke up, he sat up groggily and massaged his forehead. His headache was still there.

"Oh you're finally awake," Zy said.

"What time is it?" Aki squinted, adjusting his sight to the light. "Why are you here? What happened to the reunion?"

Zy smiled. "A lot of things have happened. You've been asleep for a good five hours. You always nap for a long time."

Aki chuckled. "Shut up. Now tell me what'd I miss."

Zy told him that after Aki left, Zy also decided to go check the bus station and see if he needed to reserve a ticket.

"Seeing all these wonderful things in this place made me want to see Drew. I want to share these kinds of memories with him. I felt like I needed to see him now."

Too bad for Zy, he had to wait until it was night. The next bus leaves at eight in the evening. But, at least, he had reserved his tickets.

"So you basically eat and run at the reunion?" Aki said, smirking.

Zy smiled sheepishly. "Yeah. They still have a lot of things planned, but without you there, I felt like I was intruding on their party so I bailed out."

"Where's Liam?" Aki had promised to talk to his roommate.

"He hasn't come back yet. Maybe they're still not done with the party? Speaking of Liam," Zy started, "I also had a talk with him. Gosh, Aki, I didn't know you were such a bright student! Also, why didn't you tell me when you have exams?" He pressed a hand over his forehead. "I guess, that's my fault too."

Aki pursed his lips. "Anyway, what are you doing now?"

"I'm packing," Zy gestured at his open bag. He picked it up again then paused. "How about you? What will you do? Are you going to come with me or stay here?" As soon as the words left his mouth, Zy widened his eyes and waved his hand frantically. "I'm not asking you to come with me this time!"

"I'll help you pack. Then we'll go to the bus stop."

***

Liam came back when the moon's already out. He was utterly exhausted. Not only did he not talk or see Aki, but he also had to face Nancy's wrath.

She went full-on diva mode and threw a tantrum — well maybe not the toddler type of tantrum, but she did cause a scene. Of course, the girls blamed him for being so crass with her. He did not consider her feelings blah blah. It was such a mess. Until someone stepped up and said that if Liam did not want her, she should just accept it with grace. With that, peace was restored, but that also meant her cronies leaving with her, and the rest had no more food.

Nancy thrashed quite a bit, so they had to clean up afterward. They sort of had this unspoken agreement never to invite her and her friends to their gatherings in the future. Liam's friends joked that he would be the talk of the town for days to come. He had probably given their neighborhood enough gossip material to last them for years. Liam could not care less. It would be another rumor under his belt.

"How's the reunion?" Granny asked as Liam greeted her in the kitchen.

"Epic," Liam said with a laugh. "Where's Aki?"

"Oh, didn't he tell you? He left with Zy."