He chanced an exasperated glance in her direction. She pulled out her nail file and began filing her already pristine nails while humming her little tuneless tune.

Some of what she had been saying slowly crept its way into his thoughts. It sounded like rambling and most of it sounded far-fetched, but the idea of folks with super-powers was pretty far-fetched in the first place. Macy talked about unimportant stuff a lot but when she started actually talking about work, she was usually pretty accurate. Her theories, no matter how ridiculous they sounded, had an eerily high accuracy rating.

They arrived at the huge house in which the suicide had taken place and he turned into the drive. He pulled his truck up behind a cop car that was parked there along with several other vehicles. The forensics team had finished early that morning and their results were already available. The homicide team was back at the station already doing whatever it was they did. Jackson figured the vehicles must belong to family or friends, but why the cop car?

He went around and opened the passenger door. Placing his hands around Macy's waist, he lifted her gently from the truck and set her on the ground. She was only 5'2" and about as sturdy as a feather, so it was difficult not to handle her like a child. Especially factoring in her voice and personality.

The two detectives entered the house through the front door. At this point only the bedroom where the guy had died was taped off. Walking into the front room, they came upon an angry looking woman with long, dark hair. Her perfect body was crammed into a dress that was so tight it made her completely fat-free rear-end bulge seductively. She was beautiful if you were into the icy, evil type that might kill you in your sleep.

She was glowering down at an apologetic looking little man in a business suit. He was sweating and his hands trembled while doing their best not to drop the papers he was holding. The woman was flanked by two men wearing suits as well, except that theirs were more like tuxedos. Everyone looked as if they had been arguing about something for quite a while. There was a cop standing off to the side looking uncomfortable. Considering the palpable tension in the room, Jackson imagined he had been called there in order to keep the peace.

The woman stopped growling at the poor little shaky guy and straightened to her full height. She turned toward Jackson and Macy. Her eyes narrowed.

"I-I'm really sorry, Miss..." the shaky guy was in the middle of sputtering.

"Shut up, you worthless rodent!" she snarled at him before turning her icy glare back toward the newcomers. "Who in the hell are you and what do you want?"  

Jackson's eyebrow shot up. He met her gaze with one equally derisive. Slowly a lopsided grin began to form on his face as he realized who she must be. She had to be the mistress. She was probably pissed off at being left with nothing except the allegations of conspiracy to commit murder and a corpse for a lover. She had probably put in a lot of time with the guy and planned to rise to the top right along-side him. Now he was dead and she had found out that she was to get nothing.

Jackson's eyes roamed over her face and then blatantly down her body. He brought them slowly back up to her eyes. "I'm Detective Jackson Wolfe. This here's my partner, Macy Grey. And you must be... hold on... let me guess... Elvira? Mistress of the Dark?"

Everyone in the room suppressed chuckles including the two meatballs that were obviously there as her bodyguards.

.............

Macy stared at the woman with wide, curious blue eyes. She didn't see anything about the horrid woman that could be considered even remotely attractive. Macy thought she was hideous. Her sense of style was appalling. Her makeup gaudy and... Gasp! Those nails! They looked more like claws and were painted a metallic green. Worse, they had some sort of fake-looking sparkly rhinestones glued onto them! She stared at them unable to look away. Similar to how one would find their attention glued to a horrific car accident. She smiled absent-mindedly when the others chuckled, but she remained distracted by the woman's horrific taste. Or lack thereof. It was impossible for her to concentrate on anything the woman was saying while she waved around those ridiculous claws.