CHAPTER 3: We call it recollection

Start from the beginning

Hongbin faked his laughter as he fixed his disturbed collar. "Don't worry, mister. We call it . . . recollection." Said he. Nobody knows what he meant by that except him. He then patted a few taps on his rival's shoulder. "We're done now, right Jeon?"

Jeongguk remained silent. He glanced sideways with an annoyed smirk on his lips, disgusted at the bully's touch.

Then Jia decided to make her move, finally. She stepped in and held Jeongguk's hand, making him turn his torso. For her, the most harmless thing to do now is to walk away. Jeongguk seemingly agreed as he stepped on his shoes as well.

People may call them cowards, but violence will not solve anything.

"See you again, my friends!" Never-ending sarcasm left Hongbin's mouth, followed by a smile of winning as he watched his schoolmates disappear.

Stop being a fake, Jeon, Hongbin thought.

──────────✧──────────

It didn't take them long to find themselves standing in front of a small pharmacy.

Jia noiselessly calculates the money she has in her tiny purse. The quantity of her paper bills can be counted by fingers. Frankly, she hesitates to buy him treatment for she lacks of money. Wasting a minute or two, she's still contemplating, until a brief vibration stole her attention. She then took her phone out from her pocket, knowing that someone has texted.

From: Jeon Jeongguk
[sent a picture]
5:45 pm

"What is . . . this?" Jia raised her eyesight from the phonescreen to Jeongguk. It was a picture of a poster that she believes she had already seen somewhere.

Jeongguk scratched his nape. "The salary is a really good price. There it reads the full details. You might need it. . . . You don't have to treat me by the way." His lips formed a weak smile, though his shoulders aren't as heavy as before.

Jia can't deny, she's really glad to hear that from him. She zipped her purse and shoved it back in her pocket almost instantly. "Right. It's . . . it's your fault anyway. I can protect myself." She picked up her guitar from the roughened ground and dusted it off while avoiding their eye contact. "And I call myself a guitarist, not a pianist." She added, believing that she can protect her pride through her words, although she's thankful.

Both of them walked a couple of tiny steps, setting themselves aside to unblock the doorway of the certain pharmacy.

"I know someone."

"Someone?"

"Min Yoonki hyung, he's a significant pianist. He can make you learn within a short time. I'll . . . I'll send you his address." Jeongguk felt extremely generous today. He was talking whilst typing on his phone. "Don't worry, he's a police. You can trust him."

"How certain are you that all policemen are trust-worthy?"

Finally, their eyes met again. One's gaze can talk much more than words. Who is Jia to Jeongguk? Who is Jeongguk to Jia? Are they meant to be batchmates only? Nobody knows, even them themselves. But it's a sure thing that they can't be really friends.

He froze for a moment. Anyone could tell from the sudden distress in his eyes that her question triggered him. "I . . . I know him since highschool."

"How certain are you that all policemen are trust-worthy?" Jia herself doesn't know the real reason why she kept insisting the same question. It can be a simple curiosity . . . or abhor.

They went mute for a matter of seconds. Jia may seemed to be emotionless as of the moment, but she can feel her heart aching whenever she talks to him like this, the same goes for the young lad.

"I don't know exactly." Jeongguk broke the silence, shifting his gaze from her to his feet. "All I know is . . . I want to help you. That's all."

"Why?" That's a tough question to be answered. Why? Jeongguk is unsure of his answer, and uncertain about his kindness to her too. In fact, everyone believes he shouldn't be this kind. One of the reason why Hongbin was amazed earlier.

Jia won't removed her eyes off him which makes him more uncomfortable. Despite of his wound and the pearls of perspiration rolling down from his forehead, girls can never get tired of the sight of him. He has the brain, the looks and all. But nevertheless, no one really knows what's going on inside his head. She tried not to despise the young lad, but she keeps on failing.

"I believe you already know why . . . It's up to you to deny." Jeongguk faltered, elevating his arm to check his watch. He was supposed to divert his eyes only, but getting to see the time, he let out a deep sigh. He has sinned. The poor lad is going to be a dead meat once again. "I . . . I should get going. Have a nice day."

They exchanged silent farewells, slightly bowing their heads to show respect like they never had a heated conversation seconds earlier. Turning around, he hid his hands in his pockets and started to walk away.

But then a notification sound made him halt.

From: Yoon Jia
I'm aware that you know who I am.
5:53 pm

Jeongguk was stunned. He turned his torso around almost instantly, but he only got to see Jia's back. She's already walking to the opposite direction as she kept her thumbs on her phonescreen.

From: Yoon Jia
I don't know where he is.
5:54 pm

From: Yoon Jia
And if I do know, I'll hide him until the truth comes out.
5:54 pm

From: Yoon Jia
He's my father, Jeon. I'm sorry.
5:55 pm

To: Yoon Jia
[sent an address]
This is Yoonki hyung's apartment.
6:00 pm

From: Yoon Jia
Thank you then.
6:01 pm

Jeongguk looked up at the sky, letting the hotness of the sun burn his eyes for few seconds, therefore he can have a half-hearted excuse about his watery eyes.

Not only that, he also needs to wear a face mask— and fake his cold— in order to hide something from someone he doesn't want to disappoint more.

These things made him question himself once again. Why does everything has to be like this?

He too will wait.

He will wait for the justice.

With the dramatic emotions and all, tears were halted as a sudden text interrupted . . . again.

From: Angry noona
[sent an address]
I'm here.
Don't complain, this is within walking distance of your school.
6:10 pm

To: Angry noona
Police station?
What have you done?
6:10 pm

From: Angry noona
Stop asking, just meet me here.
Quick!
6:11 pm

But he's not at school anymore, Jeongguk sighed.