Chapter Seventy-Five - Dogs Always Get Into The Trash

Start from the beginning

It was worse than being hit. Remus's stomach churned as he took a step back. She... said he hates me. He had worried about that since the fight, now hearing confirmation just made him want to crawl into a hole. He wished he knew some sort of spell to make himself disappear forever. She hates me. Except...

He saw something in Snape's face. Did she? He frowned, adjusting his satchel. Or is he lying? He wouldn't put it past Snape. "D--does she?" Remus finally asked.

Snape snorted. "Of course. If I find out you've bothered her again, you'll be sorry."

"Well." Remus held himself at full height which was quite a bit shorter than Snape. "Until she s--says that to-to-to my face, I w-won't give up hope we're st--still friends." With that he walked off. Unfortunately most the students were pouring out of the Great Hall now so he wouldn't really have time to talk to Lily; sure enough, she was already in Defense. Since Dedenne glared at him the second he stepped through the door he opted to wait till after class to approach Lily.

Except after class she took off, not even waiting for Colgate or Inkwood. Dedenne asked Sirius to stay behind since he had been caught flicking spitballs at the girls so Remus couldn't really chase after Lily. He wanted to hang out in the hall with James and Peter to wait. However... Colgate and Inkwood weren't running off...

"B--be right back," he said then went over to where they were casually walking off. He couldn't help notice that Colgate still had some of Sirius's spitballs in her curls. "Um--ex--excuse me." They both turned around, eyebrows raised. "Is sh--she... is--is... ummm..." He looked down, toeing the ground. "Is sh--she re-really mad at--at me?"

"Yeahhhh," Colgate drew out, sounding upset. "She's really angry. She told us what you said about Snape in the library."

"Which is pretty true," Inkwood added. Remus looked up at at her, mouth a bit open. "Well it is. He's really rude to us, especially me, when Lily's not around."

Colgate elbowed her. "He's still her friend--"

"Crap friend."

At least someone close to Lily agreed with him. "Um, do-do-do you think she'd--be willing t-to listen to me?" he asked.

Colgate and Inkwood exchanged glances. "We'll talk to her," Colgate finally said. "I can't promise anything though."

"Th--thank you," he whispered then, after informing Colgate about the spitballs, he crept back to James and Peter, ignoring their snickers, their teasing about him talking to more girls. Soon Sirius bounced out of the classroom, seeming quite pleased with himself. He only lost a few points though had a long lecture on respecting women which he couldn't remember much of.

Due to the rain the boys opted to retreat to their dorm. Remus had a difficult time studying due to the whole fight, the fact he could not get Lily out of his head. Maybe I should just give up... He'd have to end things eventually. He had hoped to be friends with her for a long time--most the school time, really--except that was just a castle in the air. He sat back against his bed, watching his three friends dancing around to rock music blaring from James's record player he had brought back after the Easter holidays.

"Ridin' on the third floor of the Knight Bus, baby, coming to see you to be us, baby. Can't wait for you to be in my arms, provin' you're the mistress of chaaaarms!"

Sirius spun around, face flushed and sweaty. "Come on, Remy!"

Remus shook his head, pulling his knees up to his chest. He went back to his History book, the words swimming before him. Maybe I should answer Mum's letter from this mor-- Then he straightened his shoulders, realizing. A letter! Of course! He grabbed for some parchment, using James's scarlet ink to pen the shortish note.