Chapter Nineteen

Shay turned up an hour after they arrived back at Amber's place. Amber flinched at the sound of a knock on the door but made no attempt to move to answer it, so Kelly got up and wandered over to the door wondering what he was going to say to Shay. He'd been vague when he had called her and asked her to bring some of his clothes over, but his friend was nothing if not persistent with her questioning and he couldn't imagine she was going to be any easier to fob off in person than she had been on the phone.

"Hey, thanks for coming," He greeted her as he opened the door, reaching to take the duffle bag she was holding.

She pulled it back so it was out of his reach, looking at him sceptically. "What's going on Kelly, you sounded weird on the phone." She craned her neck to look past him and into the apartment.

"I told you on the phone, Amber isn't feeling well. I don't want to leave her on her own." He repeated exactly what he'd told her earlier.

"What do you mean she's not well? Does she need to go to the hospital? Why don't I come in and...."

"Shay." He cut her off, stepping into her path as she went to walk past time. "She'll be fine, I've got this."

She looked at him sceptically again. "Well whatever it is you're not telling me, call me if you need me?"

He breathed a sigh of relief that she was finally dropping it. "Thanks, Shay."

She thrust the bag of his things at him. "I mean it, Kelly. Anytime."

He closed the door on Shay and walked slowly back towards the sofa where he'd left Amber sitting only to find that she wasn't there. He panicked, although he knew it was irrational and shouted her name. "Amber?"

"I'm in here." She called back, her voice floating through from the bedroom.

"You had me worried there for a second." He joked, walking in and sitting down on the bed beside her. It was irrational really, this fear that he had that she was going to either disappear on him or do something stupid, but no matter how many times he told himself that the fear didn't dissipate. He just had to keep reminding himself that she wouldn't have told them about the pills if she didn't actually want help.

"I'm sorry," She said quietly, sitting up so she was leaning against the headboard. She drew her knees up to her chin giving him room to sit a little more comfortably. "I know I should've told you... I just... I didn't want you to give me that look."

"What look?"

"The one you're giving me now like I'm about to break any second," She sighed. "I know the pills were a stupid thing to do, but I was exhausted, and I just wanted to be able to shut my eyes and go to sleep for a few hours without having to see his face over and over."

Kelly reached over and took both of her hands in his, waiting until she looked at him before he spoke. "I'm going to say it again, and maybe as many times as I have to until you actually start to believe it, but none of the things he said to you is true. I love you, Amber. I'm not going anywhere."

"What if it's going to be like this forever?" She asked tentatively. "What if I can't ever get him out of my head?"

"That's what Dr Charles is for," He reminded her gently. "Alright, it's never going to be like Jack didn't exist, but it's going to get better. It won't always feel like this is hanging over you all the time."

"I need to change my phone number again," She told him, glancing at her phone that was sat on the nightstand. "I don't know how he got the other one, but I need to make sure he can't keep calling me."

"We can do that tomorrow," Kelly nodded, mentally adding it to his list of things to do. "How would you feel about coming to the firehouse with me the day after? I have a shift that I don't think I'm going to be able to duck out on, I'm sure if I explained to Boden, he'd let you stay. You can hide in my quarters and not talk to anyone if that's what you want, but I just think it would be better than you being on your own at the moment."