Distance

Adeline

He looked at me and sighed. "I need to sort things out. Get my things. Talk with some people. I'll be home soon. We can work it out then" he said before taking my hands in his. I pulled back. "Don't" I whispered. He looked hurt but nodded. "So what? We break up until you get back home? I wait for you?" I asked. He looked down. "Please?" He asked softly. I turned away running my hairs over my face. I turned back to him and sighed. "Okay" I whispered. As soon as I said that he took off. I told dad bye before going to my house seeing Enzo on the couch. "So?" He asked. "So. Nik is leaving for a while. Gonna try to find himself and work on things. We stay apart in that time. I stay here and wait for him until he's ready" Enzo looked down. "Is that what you want?" I didn't answer but poured us some drinks. I handed him his and took a sip. "No. But I will. Because love is patient" I said softly. Enzo sat next to me and took my hand. "I can crash here for a while?" He offered. I nodded. "Please" I whispered. "Of course" he said wrapping his arm around me.

"Do you ever want to go back?" He whispered after a few minutes. I nodded lightly. "All the time. But I can't" he nodded. "Life was so much easier. You were my neighbor. My best friend. I had Ric. It was so much simpler" I said laying my head on his chest. "I'm still your best friend" I smiled and nodded. "Very best friend. The best I could ask for" I whispered. He held me until I fell asleep emotionally exhausted from today.

Morning

I woke up in my bed. I sat up and rubbed my eyes still so tired. Enzo walked in with some food. "I made breakfast" he said softly. "Thanks" I said smiling. He sat with me and we ate before I sighed. "I gotta take a shower. And go to the university today" I said. "Why do you have to go to the university?" I shrugged. "I've been thinking of taking online classes. I guess with the classes I want I can't" I said. "What classes?" I got up and went to the closest seeing Niks packed boxes in there again.

"Uhm doctorate and nursing." I said trying to remember. "And one other. Teaching I think" I liked our with clothes and he nodded. "Think I could take some classes with you?" I smiled. "You look to old" he laughed. "I'll shave. It's the only thing. I might as well do something with the next 100 years of my life before moving" I smiled. "Okay. Go home. Shower. Get dressed. I'll come pick you up in 1 hour" we said our goodbyes and he hugged me before leaving. I got a phone call and answered not looking at caller ID.

"Hullo?" I answered packing up my bag. "Adeline?" I sighed hearing his voice. "Nik" I said stopping my actions. "Where are you?" He asked. "Uhm. Home? Going to the university with Enzo soon. Why?" He sighed. "Just checking in" I rolled my eyes. "No. Nik. Stop you doing that isn't helping either of us. The break means no contact until you stop running. We will talk when you get home" I said before hanging up. I sighed. Why is this so hard....