- Chapter One -

Two months earlier

I slowly open my eyes and look around my room. A strike of sunshine falls through the curtains on my bed. I wonder what time it is and I turn around to look at my phone. Oh no I missed two alarms I'm going to be so late for my first day of school. I immediately jump out of bed and run to the closet. I quickly decide what to wear and as I'm tying my hair back in a high ponytail I walk to the bathroom. When I'm brushing my teeth I see my reflection in the mirror. The girl in the mirror just stares right back at me. Okay Layla it's going to be alright. It can never be worst then the last time. Then I take a deep breath as I disrupt the eye contact with my reflection.

The new school I'm going to is quite far away and I have to bike to school about 40 minutes every day but I don't mind it. As I arrive at my new school my mind starts to run wild. The building looks massive and there are kids everywhere. They're standing in small groups talking and laughing. The sound of their conversations is blown away in the wind. I start making my way through the crowd and push the heavy entrance door open. The entrance hall is decorated with all kinds of pieces of modern art. As I look around I catch the eye of a woman sitting behind a desk. "Can I help you with anything?" her high pitched voice echoes through the entrance hall. I hesitate for just a moment as my thoughts wonder off. The lady starts to get a bit annoyed as she asks her question again. I get this impulse and make contact with my actual surrounding again. "Yeah uh I'm new her and today is my first day." I whisper back at her. "Please tell me your name so I can look up in which class you are." Her voice is starting to sound a bit irritated. "My name is Layla Richardson". I just watch as the lady starts typing fiercely. "Your class is H2c and your first lesson will be in classroom 1.166. If you take the stairs on your right and then make a left turn you should be able find it. Hurry up the class starts in only two minutes." "Okay thank you." I make a quick turn and run up the stairs. My backpack dangles on my shoulder. The hallway seems to be endless and the whole place just looks like a maze. Left, right and then right again. I'm already totally lost. A group of girls walks past me. Maybe they can help me I think by myself. "Hi could you please tell me where I can" A blonde girl interrupts me in the middle of my sentence. "No we can't." She then just grins at me and walks away as the rest of the group slowly follows her. I can hear the sound of their laughing echo in the hallway. Don't let them get to you. I try to stay positive and keep walking. I randomly start to take turns. All of the sudden I make another turn right and there it is classroom 1.166. The final bell ringed minutes ago. I nervously shuffle my feet over the floor as I'm starting to panic. Who knows what hides behind that door. I try to swallow my fear and then I lift my hand ready to knock on the door. Just do it. Immediately after I knock I hear the words "Come on in." from the other side of the door. I take a really deep breath as I gradually open the door.