9 | Healing & Hope

Weekly Quidditch matches became a regular thing for them in the following months. And, as promised, Harry did take him shopping in Muggle London, and Salazar help him, Draco couldn't help buying a few things. And then a few more. He didn't like admitting that Harry was right, but the Muggle clothes he'd purchased were damned comfortable.

Soon, they were spending massive amounts of their free time together.

Harry's mental health improved rapidly. He'd stopped shutting everyone out and was being effectively healed by spending time with Ron and Hermione, which, in turn, was helping them heal as well. He also spent a large amount of time with his godchildren, Teddy and Rosie.

He moved apartments, started going for runs in the morning again to keep up his endurance in preparation for his return to work, and started smiling and laughing freely again.

He still saw his Mind Healer weekly, still had the occasional nightmare or panic attack, but overall he was feeling significantly better.

Harry also knew his tenuous friendship with Draco had evolved. They were truly friends now, and the sight of the two of them around Wizarding Britain, while still the cause of whispers and speculation, was no longer considered news. They went out to eat, shopped for new brooms together, Draco dragged Harry to Madam Malkins for new robes, and even cajoled him into getting an expensive haircut that somehow made his messy hair look somewhat stylish. Harry pretended he didn't care, but secretly, he was pleased.

While their friendship was still platonic, Harry couldn't deny the feelings he had for his new close friend. He didn't know how Draco felt about him, however, so he kept his feelings to himself even though it was starting to feel like torture.

•••••

One evening, about a month before his leave of absence at the ministry was due to end, they met on the Harpies practice field once more.

"You ready?" Harry teased.

Draco grinned. "As long as you're ready to lose."

Harry laughed. "I guess we'll see. But you know, I was the youngest Hogwarts Seeker in a century—"

"Yeah, yeah. Save it for the pitch," Draco drawled, rolling his eyes.

They walked onto the field, eyes shining with excitement. "Alright, Potter. Here goes." Draco grinned, opening a small box and releasing the Snitch.

Harry smiled back, mounting his new broom.

The gold ball fluttered into the air and whizzed away.

Harry glanced at his watch. "Let's give it a minute before—"

"Nope." Draco took off.

"Hey!" Harry jumped on his broom and followed him, laughing with wild abandon. He relished the feeling of the wind on his face and the thrill of competition.

Three hours later it was starting to get too dark to see the Snitch. Harry dove to catch it one last time, then jumped nimbly off his broom and collapsed on the grass, sprawling on his back and holding the golden ball in the air. Draco landed next to him and dismounted gracefully.

"What are you doing?"

Harry smiled and patted the grass next to him. "Come and see."

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Let me put the Snitch away."

Harry handed it to him with a grin. "That doesn't count as a catch, you know. We're still 4-3."

Draco chuckled, "Alright, alright. You beat me. No need to get a swollen head." He tucked the Snitch into it's designated space and buckled it in, then closed the box and put it in his pocket.