The Dream Sequence

Start from the beginning

Still, it wasn't enough. I needed more from her, and at the same time, I couldn't get what I wanted most. She had to do that herself. I had been longing for it for so long, out of all she has been through, something so simple for the rest of the boys is incomparable for her. After she unknowingly brought me into her vision, I knew there was a reason behind it all. It had only shaded what she believes, making it weaker...and I could never let it pass. That was something we both shared, a willingness to prevent that vision from coming true. She can try to find her way out of there but soon enough, if she allows it, she will be confronted by half of herself. She has no choice but to fight or give in to one side.

I could hear her voice clearly, "Do whatever it takes..."

I will...and the only difference is, I'll succeed.

What she doesn't know is I will keep her trapped in the dream sequence forever if it means avoiding her vision from coming true.

There was little time left for my thoughts to remain here. They were falling apart just like everything else, no matter how focused I tried to keep them. These small changes couldn't go unnoticed now that she was only a few steps away. My mind had been briefly steered but I was brought back to the world around me once my feet slipped beneath the sand. The ground began collapsing in on itself. Turning to either side, I watched vigilantly as craters broke apart the once smooth white line that formed endlessly around the outward curve of water. As though it were being poured by hand, the grains tipped into the darkness that seeped below. Moving back, I avoided the sinking holes but I knew, in the end, it would be inevitable. As a part of this world, just like everything else, I too would eventually break away from the gateway and fall with it. It was only a matter of time now. She will soon reach the door causing this world to plummet to its short end.

She was far but I could see her figure resting at the gateway, standing before the door where only a thin line of light was graciously left behind from the sun, the dying light now sinking to its depths. I let my chest rise, my lips parting taking in one last breath, the salt of the whisking storms leaving a strong trace on my tongue while my gaze set afar, turning away from the endless abyss surrounding my feet and venturing past all the chaos to her.

The last of her steps were taken through the door until she, like the rest, disappeared completely. The doorframe vanished and so did the light leaving the gateway to turn in on itself as the world tore. The gateway held a mind of its own as a sudden hit spiked the growing swells. Angered waves rolled over the seas heading for the shore to wipe out all that remained. Stars disappeared from the skies above drawing darkness to every corner.

The warmth was gone. Whatever remained was pulled from me, ripping apart just the same as the lightning striking overhead across the empty sky. Their flashes were quick and eventually, there was nothing left. It was agonizing feeling every part of my living being stripped away from this world and forced back to the one I entered from. This kind of complex and unforeseeable magic was not one I liked to tamper with. Never could I underestimate the power this gateway holds. Its endless strength now sought out to destroy anything that does not remain.

I had almost forgotten how painful it really was. Fighting against it was useless. Here, I was only seen as a bearer of magic; it runs through me, I can use it freely, but there is much the gateway will take back leaving me with nothing to do to stop it. I've been forced to bridge through it once in the past which took much strain from my magic, but this was unbearable compared to that. I knew what coming here would do to me but it was a risk I easily took.

I shut my eyes feeling the winds spiral past my rustling clothes, whipping violently across my skin as I gave into the empty abyss, accepting that I would be thrown inside it. The edge had passed my feet, my weight slipping under it as I titled back, falling through to the darkness below. I let the air catch me as I descended down. There was no flight that held me up; nothing came with it other than falling.