Hidden In The Dark

Emily's POV

At times I thought I could move in and out of my dreams. I thought I could be free from the harsh reality that insisted on holding me back. That feeling could only be found in dreams, the ones of happiness, the ones where believing and imagining can guide you where ever you wished to go. Having the ability to break the limits and finally become free to leave the world you once knew, to be forgotten. But when you wake up, there is something holding you back; something strong. It won't let go no matter how hard you fight against it. It stays deep within the mind, crawling its way up only to pull you down with it; an unknown reality...a nightmare.

The sorts of nightmares we wish we could wake up from, only knowing that there is no escape. You fight it, plead with your mind to think of anything else but you have no control. You are only left slipping through the cracks of reality and make-believe; that small gap between them starts to grow bigger and bigger until you are forced to wake up at its end.

I thought at one point there must be something, anything, that could help me see the difference between them, but once again there was nothing. I'll walk on through the blinding darkness, my eyes closed, my cautious footsteps guiding me into the hidden parts of my nightmares. I wasn't sure what I was searching for exactly, I never knew, but soon the voice found its way. It shifted with the trees, moving through the highest branches, rustling the leaves in the wind. Its whispers lurking close enough to see me, though I can't see it. As the voice got closer my skin would turn cold to the touch, the haunting sound circling past me before disappearing swiftly into the silence. A voice sounding so quiet it could almost not be heard until it spoke in a whisper right behind you.

"Emily..."

My eyes were heavy as I tried to open them; they had been closed for a long time. Slowly letting the light seep through, what was once blurs of green, now became clear. The sights and smells of the jungle were all too familiar now. It is what I am used to. The jungle itself lived and breathed just as the animals did. My feet bare to the skin, still felt no pain as I stood over the broken undergrowth of scattered branches and leaves that had fallen from the high casting trees, crumbling beneath my feet. The ferns I walked past brushed against my legs; their usual rough leaves were now soft as they grazed my skin. It was these little things that made me realise I was dreaming...but it was the voices in my head that made me know I wasn't.

"I told you. You shouldn't be out here on your own, Emily..."

That whispered voice was somewhat louder now and I recognised it. I turned around to see Baelfire standing before me, his cloak that I had never seen him wear since he arrived to the island, was now draped over his shoulders, his hood placed over his head, covering most of his face. He lifted his head up, the rest of his body remaining completely still, his tired brown eyes stared at me while the rest of his face remained plastered expressionless. I watched him carefully but he did not move. He only spoke.

"Can I trust you, Emily?"

With those words said, a strange sensation ran from my bare feet up to my spine sending cold shivers along my skin. That was the last thing I felt until a heavy numbness took over, slowly shutting down my body as I heard his words echo through jungle around me. I brought my hand to my opposite arm, pinching the skin only to let go an instant later, my hand falling limply back to my side. I couldn't feel anything at all.

"Emily, you can trust me...but can I trust you?"

I looked back up at Baelfire only to see his figure glitching; appearing and disappearing as he stood still in front of me, only ceasing to exist. I couldn't keep my eyes away as I curiously lifted my feet, taking a step towards him, my hand reaching out only to pass straight through his chest.