Chapter 12

Luke Stone.

And the possible apocalypse of free will.

These two things that could not have been more different dominated Sheera's mind. The problem of course was that a mind both high on infatuation and fearful of destruction could never be clear enough to perform magical spells passed down from thousands of years ago.

Madam Quillfern must've had an inkling that her newest protegé was mindfully indisposed, as no more than twenty-four hours after the swooning kiss on the rooftop, Luke had been re-assigned to the solo magic work of fine-tuning his skills, whereas Sheera had been tasked with a five-mile run to clear her head.

Before leaving for her grueling assignment, Sheera took a detour and passed the glass-walled 'spell room' on the third floor. The walls, floor and ceiling were insulated in thick white padding, to ensure that whatever aggressive moves occurred therein wouldn't result in any injuries.

For the moment, Arjun and Luke occupied the room as they practiced their magical combat skills. Sheera watched as with various waves of the hand they knocked each other off their feet, lifted each other up again, and then smashed each other into the walls. They would also occasionally choke each other with the power of imaginary hands, until the other would retaliate with sparks of green light that would burn smoking holes into the choker's shirt.

"Wow..." said Sheera, her nose now firmly pressed against the glass.

Luke noticed her in his peripheral vision, which prevented him from breaking out of Arjun's magical chokehold. Arjun finally showed him some mercy when he noticed Sheera too.

Arjun waved her away. "We need to practice!" he yelled, though his voice was mostly muffled by the glass.

Luke looked over as he rubbed his reddened neck in relief. Despite his sweaty disposition and recent trauma, he still managed to wink in a flirty way. A wink that was already the highlight of her day.

"Ahem..."

The sound of Madam Quillfern clearing her voice startled Sheera.

"I'm going!" she said quickly, turning around with an apologetic look. But Madam Quillfern wasn't behind her. Or anywhere.

Sheera went on her way as instructed, but from then on, she'd always be a little weary of the watchful walls within the compound.

***

As Sheera passed The Louvre on the way to Tuileries Gardens to begin her jog in earnest, she pictured Luke's reddened neck, and how he'd only been released from the chokehold because it was a safe and friendly simulation. It made her realize that Madam Quillfern was probably right to keep the two of them somewhat separated, because a casual distraction like the one in the simulation may have been harmless, but the same distraction in a real-life scenario? It could easily be fatal. The chill of reality made her all the more determined to run a five-mile pace Madam Quilfern would approve of.

Five miles in the Jardin de Tuileries amounted to approximately three laps, filled with both charming views and occasional tough inclines. The gravel paths were surrounded by perfectly manicured patches of lawn and flowers, laid out in the precise geometric form that was synonymous with French palaces of the seventh century. With a view of The Louvre on one side, the Seine River and Eiffel Tower on another, and the Orangerie Museum on the southwest side that was famed for its frequent wraparound queue of tourists, the sights were almost distracting enough to overcome the steep hill and set of stairs that welcomed runners on every lap.

Almost.

On the third lap, Sheera struggled to run up the gravel hill as the cool autumn wind whipped at her face. It was a cloudy day but the Eiffel Tower was a beacon she could see as she made it further and further up the hill. And she would not be denied.