twentyfive ☆ i'm letting you go so you can be happy without me

by grazer_boi on wattpad (this author is one of the best I've ever seen)

{Part One}

~~~~~

At the age of four, was when Eddie first remembered seeing that red string tied to his ring finger.

He looked at it curiously, twirling it around his finger and playing with it like a cat with yarn. But when he tried to pull it off, it stayed put. He tugged at it all day as it seemed to become a habit.

Then one day, he asked his best friend, Billy, what the weird string was and why it wouldn't go away.

"What string? There's nothing," was all Bill said as Eddie twirled the string with his finger.

"Nothing? You can't see this thing I'm touching?" He pulled on it and Bill gave him a curious face and tilted his head. "Nope."

After that, Eddie decided that he should keep the string to himself. He didn't want other kids to think he was weird.

By the age of 10, he started to see more strings. The first one he noticed was the one on his mothers' finger. It had been clipped short, way shorter than Eddie's that seemed to last forever. Then when he went to school the next day, he saw his friend Bills' string.

It moved around as he wrote with his pencil. Eddie couldn't tear his eyes away from it. How could Bill not see it?

It wasn't until 7th grade when he learned what the red string was. According to his teacher, everyone has a soulmate. They're connected by a red string, and even though you can't see it, they're tied to your finger.

"And if you're special, you can see this string. But that also means you can interact with them. You can cut someone's string and they'll never find their soulmate, or tie two different ones together to connect different souls.

Eddie decided that he was special. The first person he told was his best friend.

"No way. Prove it."

"I can't. I can just see it, it's right here." He tugged on the soft yarn-like string and Bill's eyes widened.

After a very long talk about the new found information on soulmates, Eddie ran home to tell his mom that he can see the string.

Immediately, she took him to the hospital. Only a few people are able to see the string, and the only way you could prove it was with a brain scan. If you really can see the red string, you'll be able to see it in a scan. And sure enough, Eddie could see the string and was born with 'the gift'.

---

Skip eight years later, and Eddie thinks it's anything but a gift.

People constantly ask him to cut their strings to get away from an overbearing soulmate or connect them to a different person. But he refuses to mess with fate.

If it's meant to be, it's meant to be.

So once he got into college, he kept it a secret and tried his best to ignore the hundreds of red strings crossing and dragging on the floor. Bill was the only one on campus to know about the secret, and upon Eddie's request, never talks about it.

On moving day, Eddie was roomed with a tall, slim boy with light blonde curls. He had a kind smile and kept his side of the room very neat.

Stan was his name, and Eddie became quick friends with him. So, he decided to introduce his best friend to him. Little did he know that he'd be making a match.