IV - The Witch

The marketplace was alive with a sea of patricians, plebians, and merchants. My mother attended my side as we walked pass the various stands and shops. We were in search for a gift for my soon-to-be husband. It was tradition for the bride and groom to offer each other a gift after the wedding.

I hummed and asked, "What do men like?...Besides women and drinks."

"His shoes looked worn and dirty. Let's get him a nice pair of shoes," my mother suggested and pointed to a shoe shop.

I frowned at how boring shopping for somebody was. I rejected her idea and we strolled around many corners and passed more merchants. My mother spotted someone she knew admist the crowd and and began coversating with them.

Down an alley, a dark shop covered in green vines, and surrounded by clay pots and carts caught my eye. I wandered down the alley and towards the mysterious shop. I brushed past the flowy blue curtain and entered into a mystical atmosphere. My lips parted in awe. I looked around the room, curiously. Candles dimly lit the room which smelled of essential oils and and lavender. The room was decorated with pretty flowers and was being swallowed by the greenery. Various jars and little bottles sat upon shelves. Suddenly, a beautiful women emerged from behind a purple curtain. Dark hair and a white snake sat upon her shoulders.

"What compels you to Botanica Magica?" The woman asks in a raspy, deep, yet feminime voice.

I stared at the snake swaying and almost dancing on her shoulders for a second before I spoke, "I seek a gift for my fiancee."

The strange woman looked up as if she's thinking and sighed. She responded, "Ah, weddings. What is your name, dear?"

"Angelina. And yours?"

"Silvia."

She gently held her snake high in the air and let it slither down her tattooed arm.

"You are engaged to General Antonio Ferdinand," she stated in interest.

I nodded. I figured rumors spread fast.

"So, what is it specifically that you seek for your wedding night?" She asked. In a hushed voice she suggested, "A love potion? Sleepy wine? Or perhaps poison?"

I was shocked by her suggestions. Such things were illegal in Rome. However, I would never tell anyone about Silvia. I had a strange admiration for witches.

She smiled and pet her snake whose head bobbled from her touch.

My mind wondered of a variety of magical things a witch could offer me. I shook my head of the thoughts. I couldn't be caught doing anything trecherous.

"Nevermind that, dear. I will just give you some sleepy wine incase your husband gets rough."

I told the witch that I would just take the wine. She sauntered to the back to retrieve the wine and re-entered with a jug of wine between her hands.

"This is sleepy wine. It will not harm anyone but it will help you fall asleep fast," She informed me and carefully passed the jug to me. My hand opened and revealed several coins as payment. She closed my hand firmly and said, "No cost today, darling. Consider it a gift for your wedding."

Another woman entered the shop through the blue curtain. She removed the hood of her cloak and it revealed Clarissa, the Senator's daughter. I knew Clarissa very
well and we were best friends growing up.

She looked surprised to see me and greeted me, "Angelina? Hi! It's a surprise to see you here!"

I pulled her in for a hug and pulled away, smiling fondly of her.

"Oh! And congratulations on your engagement! I heard the news."

I thanked her. She rubbed my arm with a soft hand.

"You must come to my villa for your engagement party, tonight. It will be just us girls!"

"Tomorrow Antonio wants to see me again. So, a girl's night would be lovely," I told her.

Clarissa finished a transaction with Silvia for perfume and we turned to leave. Silvia's cold hand planted itself on my shoulder which stopped me in my tracks. I spun around to face her. Her eyes showed deep concern.

"I have a sense of foreboding. You are in the hands of malignant fate," the witch whispered, ominously.

She continued, "I saw a beautiful image of love and felt the energy of a godess. However, I saw grim images of abuse, betrayal, war, and destruction. If you need anything you can come to me."

My heart beat fast at her foreshadowing. Could it be true? She squeezed my hand. I nodded and quickly followed Clarissa out.

Clarissa and I met my mother in the street who had been searching for me. She scolded me about wandering off without her knowledge and warned me of robbers. She had bought shoes for Antonio. So I would be gifting him shoes, after all. Although, I still planned on bringing the sleepytime wine.

I linked my arm with Clarissa's. We walked back to her villa where we would celebrate my engagement. I suppose the gladiator games was my engagement celebration but a girl's night would be more ideal for me.

Clarissa's villa was grand, but not as large as the Emperor's villa. We approached multiple Greek pillars and many marble statues. Clarissa still lived at her mother and father's villa because she had not been married off yet. Her lover died in war. She grieved but light and kindness remained.

The Senator's wife congratulated me on my engagement. At that point I was sick and tired of being congratulated on a loveless engagement arranged by my parents. However, I faked a smile and thanked the Senator's wife as to not be rude. I would have to scream into my pillow when I returned home, I thought.