II - The Colesseum

The clouds sailed in as the people flocked in. The sun woke the city. The elites came in horse-drawn carriages and the commeners walked for many miles to enjoy the show. They hoped they would get a peak at their favorite gladiator before the blood-shed. I stood in front of the colleseum where the new gladiators lined up. They were linked together in chains and shackles. Their faces were chiseled and hard like stone. Their bodies were toned and their muscles glistened under the sun. The ladies ogled the half-naked men and swooned. They jostled to get close and their small hands felt up their muscled forms. They giggled. Many of the men enjoyed the attention while one of them kept their heads down. I strided forward to get a look for myself. One man with his head down caught my attention. His wrists and ankles were chained together and his eyes were trained on my sandals. His bone structure and muscled form had me in awe.

I noticed an 'R' tattooed on his left hand. The mark of slave owner, Ramses, was branded on his left hand. I heard much about him. Ramses was known for buying slaves and training them to fight in the ring for his profit as many slave owners would do the same. I heard from several people that he owned the best gladiators. He was wealthy and famous for collecting many wins from the arenas.

"Where are you from?" I asked confidently and he seemed tense. He remained silent.

My brother, Francesco, stalked towards me and sneered, "He's a savage barbarian!"

The gladiator clenched his fists at my brother's words. He shifted his gaze up to meet my brother's eyes. I could tell he wanted to speak but bit his tongue.

My brother scoffed and crossed his arms. The gladiator continued to stare in his eyes as if challenging him.

My brother snickered and stalked away. The barbarian's eyes met mine and I was almost lost in their beauty.

"What is your name?" I asked. He did not respond and his eyes switched to my shoes again.

Then, he finally spoke in a low, raspy voice. He muttered, "Harry, The Barbaric Warrior."

That must be his Gladiator name given by his master, Ramses.

"I suppose I shall see you fight in the arena, Harry. I wish you good luck on your fight."

My attention turned towards my fiancee who arrived in his horse-carriage. He stepped down from his grand carriage and and strided towards me. He placed a wet kiss on my cheek and I smiled uncomfortably. He looped a strong arm under mine and the women gawked at us. They whispered among each other and I was sure our engagement would be the empire's hot gossip. Our weddings rings reflected the sunlight as he walked us through the colleseum. My parents sat in the Imperial box which was reserved for the Emperor and his family. I sat on a cushioned chair not far from them in the first tier seats. Of course, my fiancee was next to me.

For several long hours men violently dueled in the arena. The sweaty victors painted the arena with blood as they used brute strength and screamed in victory. The audience cheered and chanted in high volume. I looked away from every savage slay of sword to throat.

Then, they announced him...the gladiator I had met before the games began.

"Now we pit against two warriors! The champion! The undefeated! Harry, The Barbaric Warrior! Against The Great Lion Warrior, Lucas!"

The croud erupts in cheers. My heart beats faster from the sound of his name. The gates broke away from thick chains and swung open. Harry entered the arena with a heavy sword in his hand and a helmet on his head. His opponent strided into the arena from the opposite side with a sword and shield. Half of the audience chanted Harry's name and the other half called out Lucas's name. As the men approach each other, I sit on the edge of my seat. Antonio watched closely in amusment.

Lucas aggresively swung and Harry swiftly dodged every swing of his gladius. Harry's dodging went on for a while but the crowd was impatient and starving for blood. They were yelling at Harry to fight but I knew what he was doing. He was tiring out Lucas and possibly analyzing Lucas's movements. Lucas was heavier and carried more muscle mass along with his shield. He huffed and puffed as his movements became sloppy. Lucas decided to drop the shield. Finally, Harry struck The Lion Warrior. His muscles contracted with every strike. At last, Lucas's blood spilled and Lorenzo fell to the ground in defeat. The emperor thrusted out his fist. The crowd called for his death. The emperor turned his thumb upside which decided the destiny for The Lion Warrior. Harry held his sword to his throat before he ended his life with blood spill. Animalistic roars erupted from all around the arena.

The emperor announced that all victors would put their oppenent to death in celebration of the General's engagement.

Harry matched three more oppenents. His oppenents fell to their death one by one. His bulging muscles flexed with every strike. He was skillful in every move. He was blessed by Aries himself, the god of war. His god-like combat had me in awe.

His final oppenent wielded two swords and attacked Harry with fierce energy. Deep gashes in his arm and waist caused blood to trickle down his shiny skin. Still, he did not waver and retaliated by causing his oppenent to lose his gladius. I clutched the cushion of my seat. With several slashes to the chest and a gladius thrusted in his chest, the oppenent seethed and fell to his death.

The audience cheered and chanted his name with numerous hands waving the air. Antonio clapped slowly, impressed by Harry.

Harry walked through the gate with no hurry and little effort while clutching his side. He left blood in his trail. I wanted to sneak away from my fiancee and meet him in the barracks.