Chapter Thirteen

"Gilbert..." Anne ached to get up, but her body also ordered her to stay in the newly cleaned bed. Gilbert nearly ran to her, and sat down on the foot of the bed. Cole, Ruby, and Diana had already come; and Diana and Ruby had given Anne baked goods and plenty of apologies and hugs.

"Anne..." Gilbert concealed Anne in her arms, and let her breathe, but was surprised not to hear any tears. "Are you okay?" That was the first thing Gilbert had asked.

On the way into Green Gables, he passed Jerry, who'd cleared up what happened... Gilbert hugged Jerry for saving Anne... he was so grateful that he was there for her when Gilbert himself couldn't be. "I'm fine."
Once again, Anne told him a small lie. "I'm not going to give him the satisfaction, Gilbert. I won't cry over spilled milk. I'll get past this, just like you said. Together. You and me, together." Anne told herself, and for the first time that day, she wasn't lying.

Billy wouldn't get the pleasure he wanted. She would conceal it, if she felt it at all. Anne knew this was just like him shooting her, since she was too young to know what had really happened... but she also would take time to heal, physically and mentally. But she had her friends and that was all that mattered.

"You're the bravest girl I've ever met, Anne. And, I know you can do this. We're all on your side. Billy's trial is in two days. If you'd like..." Gilbert paused, and waited for Anne to look at him with sad eyes.

"I can give him what he deserves..." Anne thought aloud, and with surprise that bled through both of them, she smiled smally. Anne wanted to vaporize Billy, but this would be better. "He doesn't deserve the paradise of death. He deserves to rot."

"And we'll be here the whole way. I'll be here." Gilbert smiled, and this time, Anne leaned forward and pressed her lips against Gilbert's with tragedy and pleasure in her own skin.

"I know." She whispered after they mutually pulled away with a smile creeping across both of their faces. And like that, for the moment at least, it was as if Billy had never come near her, and the memories of his face were replaced with Gilbert, smiling.

"So, anyway... How is your medical journey going?" Anne asked, since after the kiss, she was desperate to change the subject, due to the fact that Billy was now in her mind again.

"I'll be in Queens by the end, and you will be too, Anne." Anne had missed so many school lessons this week it would take much effort to continue with her age group.

"I'm not sure... I've missed so much school." Anne smiled, desperate to change the subject of her assault. She just wanted this period of her life to be over, and she'd be smiling in Queens by tomorrow with Ruby, Cole, Diana, and especially Gilbert.

He'd have his hand around her shoulder, and be grinning wide with affection, as Anne pressed her lips against his pale cheek with a heart brimmed with love. Everything would be okay. Billy would be rotting behind his jail cell, and Marilla and Matthew would be happy knowing that Anne was safe. Jerry would be with a full stomach in his barn, with the mares accompanying him as he read beautifully from a book that Anne had gifted him, with nothing; not even a stutter. Everything would be perfect.

"Anne?" Gilbert asked, and squeezed Anne's hand with a small pinch of joy. "I believe you." Gilbert reassured, and that was all Anne needed... She managed a small smile back at him, and he took her in his strong arms.

"Thank you, Gilbert." She smiled to herself, as she felt herself sleeping in his arms for the first time in nearly a day... "I... thank you. For being here." "It's my pleasure, Shirley." Gilbert teased softly, and sifted his fingers through her ginger hair, reminding both of them of the day where she'd struck him with her slate, which now laid -cracked, next to Anne's bed. With the window open, the rottenness seemed to suck itself out into the cold noon air, and leave Anne's body. It'd linger for days, but one day, she'd be free of it, and she'd run through the hay of Green Gables without a care in the world... one day.