Chapter Five

"Children! Supper time! Hurry down quickly, since you'll all be set to be off soon!" Diana, Cole, and Ruby trotted downstairs, leaving a momentary conversation from Gilbert and Anne to precipitate.

"Are you sure you're alright, Anne?" Gilbert asked, as Anne began to swivel her knees to the edge of the bed with seemingly ease. "Anne?" Gilbert stuttered, and watched in shock as Anne stood up.

She wobbled at first, but eventually stood tall, with her head raised high. "I've been feeling much better for a couple of hours, but I didn't quite want to return to school, with Billy and all... oh Gilbert, please don't tell Marilla. She'll fret until there's no tomorrow."

Anne seemed to be back to her talkative and fancy self, but Gilbert could still sense a quiver of pain hidden deep in her. "Wait, so... the bloody dresses? The winces... you jailing yourself in bed...?"

"I may be fine, but I'm still fearful of Billy... he had no remorse, just regret for shooting me because he may be caught... I'm not okay... not yet. I can feel the prick on my neck when I feel the brisk air that surrounded me that night, I just... I think I'll be able to return..."

"When I saw Diana, Cole, and Ruby... I felt this warmth inside of me, much like the feeling I sense when you're with me... I think I know now, that if I'm with them, with you... I know I'll be safe." Anne kept her eyes trained on the floor as a small smile spread across Gilbert's lips.

"Me too, Anne... but, just because you feel better, doesn't mean you're okay just yet. You just have to be careful walking and all of that. Okay?" Gilbert watched as Anne nodded. "Okay, swing your arm over my neck so that you look ill."

"I appreciate you, Gilbert." Anne admitted as Gilbert helped her 'limp' down the creaky stair-case that seemed to constantly down. "I really should thank you for all you've done, not just with my injury, but-"

"Anne. Let's just focus on getting down the stairs right now." Gilbert cut her off, to reveal her to the three children awaiting their arrival downstairs. Gilbert could feel the goosebumps on Anne's neck intensify as the four pairs of eyes fell upon her.

"Anne, my goodness, what in heaven are you doing out of bed? With your look, you'll break the steps and crack your ankle." Marilla croaked, and began to flow towards the stair-case, until Anne butted in.

"Really, Marilla, I'm fine. My wound is feeling much better, and I've been in bed for nearly a week and a half. If it's not a job, I'd like to return to school tomorrow with Diana, Cole, Ruby, and Gilbert."

"Anne, I'm not so sure that's a good idea. You've-"

"Marilla, please... I'd be awfully happy if you'd allow me to return to school with my friends. Tomorrow. If anything goes wrong, I'll make sure to be home before you even knew I was gone." Anne pleaded, and shifted her weight against Gilbert's arm.

Marilla huffed, before nodding, to Anne's squeals with delight, and her friends' subtle looks of glee. "Oh, thank you, Marilla! I'll be sure to be good!"

"Don't overwork yourself, Anne. Gilbert, set her down by the couch, if you will." Marilla requested, before Gilbert helped Anne to the leather, jet-black sofa where Diana, Cole, and Ruby were waiting with prideful expressions.

"Thank you. Now, if you five don't mind, Matthew and I are off to Charlottetown for more medication, there's drum-sticks prepared in the parlor for you. You four..." Marilla gestured towards Gilbert, Diana, Ruby, and Cole with a warning expression. "... make sure to walk home together, or your parents won't let me hear the end of it. Alright?"

Marilla left shortly after that, and after supper, Diana, Ruby, Cole, and Gilbert had left in fear of the incoming twilight that approached like a warning. The former three hadn't a clue that whoever attacked Anne wasn't some strange man in the woods that prayed on children, but one of their own 'friends' Billy Andrews.

Anne limped slightly upstairs, and collapsed in her bed, hoping tomorrow would go perfectly, with nothing but delight.