Chapter 17

•Kayden pov•

"You want me to go down there?" I cocked an eye at Gannen, then looked at the manhole cover the vampaneeze had removed.

"Not like you're a lady. Get down there." He growled with a smirk.

I hesitated, and went down slowly- Gannen right on top of me.

"Dude. I'm not fucking touching that." I held onto the ladder, keeping my feet away from the sewage.

"Must I treat you like a prince?" He asked sarcastically.

"I am the lord's child!" Gannen rolled his eyes, and jumped off the ladder. I got onto his back. Even though that wasn't much cleaner.

"Why is it you want to join us?" Gannen asked after a while of silence and walking in dark.

"Because vampires are pure awful." I hissed. "Maybe not all, but especially Larten Crepsely." His name burned my throat. "I'm not killing humans, or vampeneeze or helpers. Vampires."

"Steve is going to be crushed you aren't more vicious."

"He doesn't understand how bad my hatred for on person is. Then he'll see it."

     I didn't have a guard up, and let myself start to doze off, but a light then kept creeping closer made me more alert. As the light got brighter and closer, there were more sounds and voices.

We ended up at a part of the tunnel I never would have guess existed underground. It was a big circler area, with a platform built by the vampeneeze. It still allowed the sewage to flow under, but the platform was dry, with chairs, and a table, and hammocks hanging from various places.

"Where's Steve?" I asked Gannen as he dropped me off his back.

"He's taking care of other business."

"Paysen?"

"Relax."

"You fucking bastard tricked me!" I shouted, jumping on him.

"Kayden!" A voice boomed, and a calmed down, and backed off of Gannen. I looked to the voice, and Steve looked frustrated already with me.
"We can keep to our word as best as anyone!" He scolded me, pulling me to a chair.

"Paysen?" I asked, though it came out firmly, more like a statement.

"Hunting." Steve replied. "What the fuck has Creepy Crepsley done to have you come here? What did that son of a bitch bribe you with? What kind of spell did he use?"

"The only thing he did was get in the way. I'm here because I want to be. Because I want to take your side." I looked him in the eye. I had barely ever done that even as a young kid. I could see evil in them. Hell, I'm sure there was evil in me too. I wasn't backing away.

Steve nodded in understanding. 
   "We take out Larten Crepsley, then Darren Shan. Next Vancha March, and the rest of the princes to follow after. We go in, attack their mountain, find every vampire. Then destroy them."

"If we kill the humans we drink from, and convert more vampeneeze, eventually we'll run out of blood though and die, right?" I asked. "Vampeneeze don't have to be human murderers."

"I'd say too much time with the vampires. But... you have a point. Kayden these are the vampeneeze. It's going to happen. It doesn't matter who likes it and who hates it. It's too late."

"Then please stay away from the humans I care about. Please?"

Steve nodded.

"I bagged me a fat one!" A girl laughed, slushing down the tunnel. Coming onto the platform, she dropped a bag, bigger than her own size on the table. I looked at the girl. She looked older than me. Maybe ten years or more older. Gruff. Dirty. You couldn't tell her skin color due to dirt and dried blood(Which I'm assuming isn't hers) Her hair looked never washed. In clumps about the width of fingers. Just longer and uncut. She looked unafraid of anything. There wasn't light in her eyes. There was nothing. But she showed pride of her murder.