No, he won't, Greeny thought. He'll kill me for getting involved in the first place. He knew her father quite well. He was a level-headed man who preferred him and Leah to stay out of all things to do with police business, Mr. Grasslake had given him several warnings about snooping around potential crime scenes or following any leads that might result in his life--or especially Leah's--being put in danger. Of course, someone probably should have told Leah this because she still dragged him off on her wild escapades whenever her father wasn't looking.

Except for this time. This time, there was something different. She didn't want to get involved. What could that mean? He could hardly dare to hope that meant she'd given up on being a detective. It was her dream. He wanted her to chase it. He just didn't want to be thrown under the bus with her.

"Listen," Leah sighed, retreating to her corner of the table and finishing off her drink in one gulp. " Thank you for this. I'll take it to Dad and he'll know what to do with it. " She got up to throw away her cup and swung her sling pack over her shoulders as she started toward the door. She paused, however, when she got back to him. "And, Mac?" she added, leaning against the table to look him in the eyes seriously. "It might be better if you pretend you never saw any of this."

"What? Why? " He turned to stand up, but she was already out the door. What's gotten into her? he wondered. He decided he had to find out. Shoving his laptop under his arm, he took off after her.

"Leah!" he yelled. " Hang on a second! Leah! Wait up! "

She spun as he neared and scowled. She said nothing, however, seeming to be waiting on him to go first. So he did. "What's going on, Leah?" he demanded. "This isn't like you at all. I don't think I've ever seen you turn down an opportunity to do some detective work. " Snooping was more the word he would have used for it, but he wasn't about to tell her that.

"Nothing's going on," she answered. "I just don't feel like investigating anything today. Besides, twelve different places? It would take the two of us the rest of our lives just to try and process it all. "

The light turned green and they crossed the street. When they reached the adjoining sidewalk, Greeny started up again. "Then why make me go to all the trouble of looking at that article if you didn't actually want anything from it?"

She didn't answer as they went on. Greeny snuck a glance at his watch. It was just after four. He'd have to be getting back to the school before too long. He exhaled. He didn't want to leave Leah like this. She obviously wanted something from him. He really wished she'd tell him what.

Leah sighed. "It doesn't matter now. Just drop it, okay?" She quickened her pace.

"Okay," he agreed. They walked in silence for a moment. "But just answer me this. What are you so afraid of? What do you think you're going to find by investigating this?"

"I'm not afraid of anything, Bush."

His last name. He held back a smirk. She was lying and it was clearer than day. She only addressed him by his last name when she wanted him to back off, which, of course, he wasn't about to do. "Don't you want to go to Catrial and see the place for yourself? I mean, you were right! Something weird happened there! Don't you want to know what?"

"Not anymore."

"Why not?"

As to answer his question, she gestured across the street to a docile police cruiser. "They're everywhere," she responded in a lower voice. " I put one toe out of line and they report back to my father, and I get grounded for the rest of summer. "