16: Trying His Best To Keep From Laughing

"I'm starting to think that your parents are only a figment of your imagination." As per usual, his entire house was silent and empty. Sometimes when we walked inside, I was hit with a wave of pressing sadness. What was the point of having a house that big when no one was ever home to live in it? There was something about the home's grandness that made Sam seem so small.

He laughed, hands in his pockets as he walked beside me to his extravagant living room. "I told you they're busy all the time. I'm sure they're just out doing rich people stuff. Besides, I didn't think that you wanted to meet them."

I shuddered. "Definitely not. It sounds like it would be stressful."

"You trying to impress them?" He was too smug about it, so I lightly shoved his shoulder and took a seat on his wonderfully comfortable couch.

"So what if I wanted to? Anyway, meeting each other's parents is something that official couples do. Not whatever we are." I reminded him, watching as he sat down beside me.

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever."

Then he leaned his weight into my side, making himself right at home. His eyelids fell serenely shut, his blonde lashes intertwining. I looked away, ignoring the way it felt to be so close to another person. If I wanted to, it would have been so easy to push him away. But instead I kept him just where he was.

Our trial period officially managed to last two weeks. Who would have thought that we were capable of making it more than a day.

Sam was a very affectionate person, always trying to be as close to me as possible whenever we were alone. I often wondered if he was like that with anyone else. Was it only with those he dated? Or did he like to hug his friends too? That was something I never took note of before.

"Sam, have you ever dated someone?"

He instantly sat upright, eyes opened as I gained all of his attention. "Unless we're counting this as dating, then technically no."

"Technically?" I ignored the first thing he said, focusing on the second part.

"Well, Joss and I were sort of in a relationship thing for a little while."

I frowned. "What does that even mean?"

"Jealousy is so hot." Sam leaned over and kissed my cheek before I could doge it. "Joss is friends with my family, so we go way back. I think it was tenth grade when everyone started telling me that she had this massive crush on me. We started hooking up from there. She still flirts with me, but that whole thing pretty much faded off."

"But you guys never officially dated?"

"No, since it never really felt like either of us liked each other outside of convenience. She only drapes herself over me when it's beneficial to her." Sam shrugged. "She can be very abrasive, but she's actually pretty cool when you get to know her."

I found that hard to believe. The Jocelyn I knew was rude and arrogant. I imagined that she probably spent her free time writing a list of those who slightly inconvenienced her. Jocelyn kind of scared me. Her eyes were sharp, and I could tell that she was a lot smarter than she let on. Every time that she looked at me, it felt like I was a corpse and she was a vulture. What would people like her say if they knew about me and Sam?

"Does that bother you?" He asked.

"No, it's not like I own you." I told him.

"This is why I like you, sugar." He mused.

I cringed. "Of all the nicknames, you just had to pick the worst possible option."

He was so enthused by my disgust that he planted a swift kiss to my lips and rested his arms around my neck. "I will now only refer to you as sugar. The more you cringe, the more entertained I am."