3: Sarcasm Dripped From His Words Like Venom

"Holy shit." The sudden sound of a voice behind us caused us both to jump. My heart caught in my throat, still beating hard in my ears. I was nauseous as I tried to understand what just happened. Millie somehow wandered out there too, but I had no idea when she joined.

All I meant to do was see if Sam was alright.

Why did I choose right then of all times to be the bigger person?

"Holy shit is an understatement." As though coming alive all at once, I looked at Sam angrily. "What the fuck just happened?"

He didn't say anything right away, only staring at where that man had stood, then the direction his car sped off in. It was beyond clear that Sam was involved in something that I couldn't even begin to comprehend. And just like that, it was my life on the line too. How did things escalate so quickly? I was too petrified to think rationally and get the hell out of there before it was too late.

"Sam?" I shoved him lightly, needing him to snap out of whatever trance was drowning him. There was shit that needed to be explained, and I needed to understand the repercussions to my actions. There were too many questions I needed answers to, and the worst part was that I had to extract them all from the person I detested most.

"Fuck off." He shoved me back, as though being angry with me was the only motivation to move.

"Are you just going to stand there like a douchebag, or are you going to start talking?" I yelled at him. I didn't know what else to do other than get angry with him like I always did.

"You are truly the biggest moron on this planet." He rubbed his eyes briefly, trying to channel some of his hatred into a deep breath. Then he released it, opened his eyes back up and frowning once he saw that we were still standing there expectantly.

"I don't understand." Millie just looked between us, worry in her eyes. "I went to use the bathroom, and when I came back out that car was leaving again. What happened?"

"So you didn't see any of it?" Sam allowed his eyes to fall on her, as if noticing her presence for the first time. Millie had never seemed so small, standing next to the door like a scared child. I felt awful, but I couldn't exactly explain anything to her when I didn't know what was going on either.

"Not really." She shook her head.

"Then I'm going to need you to go home by yourself, and Sawyer will have to come with me." Sam said with a scowl on his exhausted face. He was clearly fuming at the fact that I had just gotten myself thrown into his mess, but what else could he do? Unless one of us could build a time machine and stop myself from following after him that night, things were simply going to be that way.

My skin crawled.

We'll be watching you from now on.

What did that mean? Exactly what kind of people did Sam have an affiliation with? What was going to happen next?

"What?" Millie looked at me, expecting me to protest.

I did. "Why the fuck would I go with you?"

"Because!" Sam yelled, beyond frustrated with me. He never looked so tired before, skin pale, eyes wide. I was pretty sure that he was fighting himself to not completely rip me to shreds. "You're a fucking idiot who decided to get involved in some deep shit! So now I have to figure out how to fix this. Thanks so much for being a royal pain in my ass."

"Me? I'm the royal—"

Before I could say anything else, he just rolled his eyes and grabbed my sleeve. I gasped as he dragged me towards his car that was far too expensive for someone that young and reckless. I tugged against his grip, and he flashed the most rage-induced expression I had ever seen. It was clear that if I fought harder, he was going to wring my neck.