chapter ten | good night, sleep tight, don't let the nightmares bite

Start from the beginning

I pulled the amulet out from under my sweater and tossed it to him. "Here you go. I think you'll need it."

He looked at the jewel in shock. "You - how - this was locked up." He got out of his seat, standing in front of me. "No one has access to the tower. No one. And you go in there and take this out. Do you know how much damage this is going to do?"

"It won't do as much damage as your family already did," I growled, clenching my teeth. "That's your first question, but you don't question how I manage to hold that without any scars on my hands. You question the name I gave you at my trial but don't but the pieces together."

"The Covington line is dead."

"But just because a last name is dead doesn't mean a bloodline is," I yelled, my voice growing louder and louder each time. Everyone else in the room doesn't butt into the argument, question what's going on. Good. "Just because your family didn't want to keep track of what happened to the other heirs, doesn't mean they all died."

"I don't think you're allowed to use that tone of voice with me, Vera." He speaks my name it was poison. Then again, it was the first time he used my real name.

"Your ancestors stole my ancestors' kingdom. Your family killed the other heirs, expecting their kids to die off. Your do know that we can't die, right?" My breathing becomes heavy. "You and me and Atticus, we're basically immortal until we produce an heir. You and me and Atticus are supposed to be three of the rulers of six kingdoms, yet you are on the throne. You have the power. Your family took the kingdoms, and you didn't bat an eye on what might happen when the stars align, and the red amulet is in the black castle, and the other castles and kingdoms are in ruins, the amulets gone."

The king stays silent, but he's listening.

"Your still and king, but you sit on a throne fo lies."

"And you're saying you secured your position as queen by killing your mother," the king finally says. Silence falls in the room.

It takes me a second to collect my thoughts. "My reasons for killing my parents are none of your concern. If anything, that information should be between me and my siblings." I throw a quick glance to Lysander and Victoria, but their expressions were unreadable.

"So what do you want? My kingdom? Everyone thinks you're a criminal. You are a criminal," the king states again. "You think they're going to bow down to a murderer. And on top of that, a girl? Take your chances, Vera Carmicheal."

"We live in a world of magic, and October just happens to be out most sacred month. And centuries of tradition mean nothing now, because we're heading into the anniversary blindly. You're willing to risk all of this so you can stay as king?"

"This kingdom is rightfully mine."

I gritter my teeth. "No, it isn't."

"ENOUGH!" Victoria finally yells. Both the king and I turn to her. "Everyone's tired. You guys probably don't know what you're talking about, and I surely don't know what going on. We can deal with this in the morning. Everyone go to bed." She turns to Atticus, painting a kind smile. "You're welcome to stay over too, Att. I don't think you should be on that leg too much."

I backed away from the king. I said what I needed to say tonight, and that's what matters. The king knows who I am, and he should know what I was capable of. Of course, I was just a girl, but that should mean nothing.

I head upstairs, furious.

Maybe it was the magic in the air, but my blood boiled. Years of tradition didn't matter with what's going to happen. The stars will align with no amulets to contain the power it'll give the kingdoms - or kingdom. It'll be too much.