Chapter 12

Chapter 12Hey You

Chapter 12
Hey You.

Barbara took a deep breath, "I think he should tell her."

"No way. No, honey, that's the worst idea you've ever had," retorted Adam.

    Beetlejuice, even though he was the first concerned, was barely listening to their dispute. They had surprised his soliloquy the day before, a bad habit they had, in BJ's opinion.

"Adam, he has never been that close to have actual human emotions. I think our little Corazana really is helping him! In the best way possible!"
"But is he helping her? Think about the girl, Barb! How will she react knowing he has "feelings" for her?"
"I heard the quotation marks," groaned the demon, "I know it sounds unreal but... don't be so hard on me, man, I'm still learning. And I'm sure she'll be disgusted by the way, so there's no need to tell her anything."

    The couple stayed quiet, it wasn't easy to deny that option.

"Or she could be touched," argued Barbara.
"Don't think so."

    He looked up to them -he was the only one sitting down- and shrugged. Adam's expression went from outraged to worried. Perhaps Barbara was right and their neighbor helped Beetlejuice to be a better person. The old Beej' would have probably said something like "I'm the one who's gonna touch her if you know what I mean" but he looked dead serious. Did he really change that much?

"I'm gonna go for a walk. But thanks guys, it's nice to know I'm definitely not the right person for her. I mean, I know I'm not, but it's reassuring, she deserves the best and I won't need to hold any illusion about the fact that she could feel the same way. She doesn't, it's crystal clear."

    Barbara took a step in his direction, but as soon as her foot touched the floor, he was already gone.

    It was windy outside, but the demon couldn't care less. He couldn't feel the weather anyway. He went right to the old tree behind the house. He has never been farther, sand-worms would attack him if he tried. He didn't notice the sleepy person at the foot of the tree.

"Hey you, looking for a quiet place?" asked the drowsy, yet soft, voice.
"Oh, doll, wasn't expecting you here."

    He was totally expecting her to be there.

"Lyds told me she wanted to ask something to the Maitlands, but she didn't came back."
"When did she left?"
"Thirty minutes ago. Must have been important."

Shit, she was behind the door, realized BJ.

"I was about to go, I have some stuff to finish before tomorrow, but since you're here I'm gonna stay a little bit longer. Have a sit."

    She patted the grass, the demon sat next to her.

"I like fall," whispered Corazana, "everything is so colorful."