The Darkest Night

A motorbike sped through the night. It roared a bit and spat smoke like any other old motorbike would but, quite unlike a normal motorbike, this one travelled through the air. It glided gracefully, with such ease from something that shouldn't be able to fly in the first place, and to anyone who saw it they would think it was nothing more than a shooting star and they would wish upon it hopefully. 

The night itself was so very dark that night. There were barley any stars in the sky apart from the brightest one, the one who glowed stronger than the rest, the dog star. 

Far below in the field of an old Burrow a young boy held tightly onto his baby sister. They sat just outside their house so their anxious mother could see them better and with a steady had the older boy lifted his baby sisters hand up high like she was reaching to touch that one bright star with her tiny finger. They didn't know about the news that would come in the morning. The news that would change their lives forever. A fate neither sibling could control.

The one driving the motorbike was a young man who shared the same name as the star which glimmered above him. His wife clung onto him tightly as he sped frantically towards Godric's Hollow. They were both scared and so anxious, When they'd seen that Peter wasn't home they'd immediately assumed the worst. All they could do was cling onto the hope that their closest friends, family, would still be alive.

Adrianna narrowed her eyes at the distant houses, her look was calculating, searching for anything that might tell them if the Potters were okay. Then, suddenly, a great wind circled the couple and everything near them. The trees rustled in distress and abandoned papers flew across the ground of the isolated streets. It was a warning because seconds later the sky was filled with thick smoke which bellowed from a distant house. The couple could just about see the house. Adrianna's eyes widened.

"Sirius!" Adrianna whispered urgently in his ear, her face etched with horror.  Sirius said nothing, he only drove quicker, desperately trying to reach his brother in everything but blood. 

Soon, they reached the ground and Sirius grabbed Adrianna's hand as, together, they jumped from the motorbike letting it skid dangerously along the road. There was no hesitation as they both ran forward and into the ruins of the house. It was a horrible sight and Adrianna had to cover her mouth to stifle a sob.

Sirius had never been so determined in his life as he walked into what should be the Potters living room. It was in ruins, yet the furniture lay untouched. Adrianna walked in cautiously behind him with her wand outstretched, lit up with a small gleam just like his. They looked at each other for a moment grey eyes meeting grey eyes and as Adrianna gazed towards the stairs for just a split second she nearly toppled over from what she saw. Sirius watched in shock as she let out a small shout and ran forward towards the stairs behind him and that's when he saw it too: James.

Adrianna was hunched over his body and she cupped his cheek in her hand. Sirius stood still behind her not quite processing what was happening, like it was all some awful joke and James would soon jump up and shout "Gotcha".

"No, no ,no. James?" Adrianna begged him to wake up and when nothing happened she buried her face in her best friends chest crying out. Sirius was shaking his head and tears were beginning to gather in his eyes as he gazed into the lifeless eyes of his brother, he would never forget this view for as long as he lived.

Then, as if an angel had given them some hope, a small cry echoed from just beyond the stairs. The couple quickly looked at each other. 

"Harry!" They cried in unison and they ran towards the nursery, wands outstretched. 

They nursey was awful to gaze upon. Books and toys littered the floor and the rubble from  the side of the house littered the floor where Harry and their children had only been playing a week ago. But that wasn't the worst thing. The worst was Lily. Poor innocent Lily who had fought so hard against Voldemort. Adrianna could barely look at the girl that she had been  best friends with since the moment she entered Hogwarts.

Sirius knelt down beside her and brushed her flaming red hair from her face before shutting her eyes. It made her look almost peaceful, like she was asleep. Then they turned towards Harry.

Their one-year-old godson was crying. Big drops of tears fell from his wide eyes and a drop of blood ran from the scar on his forehead. As soon as he saw Sirius he cried out:

"Pafoo! Pafoo!" Imitating the very name James always called him. Harry reached out with his tiny hands opening them like little pincers, begging Sirius to take him in his arms. So he did just that. He ran out of the room holding his godson and covering his eyes as they walked past James still body. Adrianna quietly followed wishing so hard that she could just be at home with Aurora and Leo pretending that none of this had ever happened. But she would never forget this. 

They exited the house as quickly as they could and Adrianna took one last opportunity to gaze at the house and James ,who could still be seen on the stairs, before running out onto the isolated street. When she came out she saw Sirius arguing with an incredibly tall man who was now holding Harry in his big arms-Hagrid.

"Give Harry to us Hagrid,  we're his godparents, We'll look after him-" Sirius argued but Hagrid cut him off.

"No, Dumbledore said Harry was ter go ter his aunt an' uncle's" Sirius continued to argue with him angry tears gathering in the younger mans eyes. 

"Fine," Sirius bellowed wiping his face before speaking in a softer voice, "Just take my motorcycle. It will get you there quicker and I wont be needing it anymore." He stalked away and Adrianna barely had time to grab onto his outstretched arm before they were whisked away into a quick apparation leaving Hagrid standing with Baby Harry in the dark street, on the darkest night.

They reappeared just outside of an old house in the countryside. Remus could just been seen through the window with Aurora and Leo, just as they had left them. Sirius was just about to walk away and apparate once again but Adrianna was quick. She grabbed her husbands arm. 

"Where are you going?" She demanded, she couldn't believe he was about to leave her here.

"I need to find Peter." He was gazing desperately at her the anger clear in his eyes.

"What about Aurora and Leo? Now isn't the time to be acting on instinct Sirius! You cant just go and kill him!" She cried at him, her eyes blurred by tears. 

He gazed at his wife before pulling her into a last kiss then, with a sorry look in his eyes he ran forward and apparated away, leaving Adrianna standing in the dark of the night where his star could no longer be seen glimmering in the sky.