Chapter Seventeen: A Dark Revelation.

"What's that at its feet?" Hermione whispered.

"Looks like a harp," said Ron. "Snape must have left it there."

"It must wake up the moment you stop playing," said Harry, "Well, here goes ..."

They were about to enter the trapdoor, Harry had the flute Hagrid gave him on Christmas -Mel thought that was very clever- and played it until the dog fell asleep. Ron informed them that the only way to get in was by just jumping. Of course, Harry went first.

He handed the flute to Hermione and got inside until he was barely holding himself with the tip of his fingers.

"If anything happens to me, don't follow. Go straight to the owlery and send Hedwig to Dumbledore, right?"

"Right," said Ron.

"See you in a minute, I hope..."

He jumped, and part of Mel's stomach dropped too as she watched him disappear into the darkness.

A muffled thump got to their ears, they waited.

"It's OK! It's a soft landing, you can jump!"

Mel moved Ron aside and jumped without hesitation.

"Oof!" She grunted, touching her surroundings, "What's this?"

Ron fell between them, mimicking her actions.

"What's this stuff?"

"Dunno, sort of plant thing. I suppose it's here to break the fall. Come on, Hermione!" Harry urged.

Hermione jumped. Mel's eyes were getting accustomed to the darkness when she felt the roots of the plant slowly creeping up her legs, only then she recognized the plant.

"Oh no," She gulped, trying to kick it out but only worsening her situation.

"Stop moving!" Hermione ordered them. "I know what this is – it's Devil's Snare!"

"Oh, I'm so glad we know what it's called, that's a great help," snarled Ron.

"Shut up, I'm trying to remember how to kill it!" said Hermione.

Mel thought deeply, she knew the answer! She spent a whole week studying it!

"Well, hurry up, I can't breathe!" Harry gasped, wrestling as it curled around his chest.

"Light!" Mel yelled, but her voice was muffled out because the plant was now starting to cover her mouth.

"Devil's Snare, Devil's Snare ... What did Professor Sprout say? It likes the dark and the damp –"

"So light a fire!" Harry choked.

"Yes – of course – but there's no wood!" Hermione cried, wringing her hands.

"HAVE YOU GONE MAD?" Ron bellowed. "ARE YOU A WITCH OR NOT?"

"Oh, right!" said Hermione, and conjured a blue fire.

The kicked the plant and pushed it away, standing up.

"Lucky you pay attention in Herbology, Hermione," said Harry.

Mel only felt a tad jealous after hearing his compliment.

"Yeah," said Ron, "and lucky Harry doesn't lose his head in a crisis – there's no wood, honestly."

"There's no time to argue," Mel moved.

"This way," said Harry pointing down a stone passageway.