Move Along

The song for this chapter is "Move Along" by All American Rejects

Carter's P.O.V

We've been through a lot this past year. And yes, I know, I'm an ass for not telling her about her parents. I'm just happy she's forgiven me. I'm in love with her. So freaking in love with her. I know I want to spend the rest of my life with her, but we've only been dating for almost a year and a half now. I don't want it to be too soon. That, and the fact that I would need her father's blessing. Her biological father, that is. But she still hasn't given me the 'ok' to tell them to come here yet.

"You feeling alright?" I ask.

"Yeah, just thinking," Steph replies.

"Do you wanna talk about what you're thinking about?" I ask.

"My parents. The biological ones. Part of me wants to meet them, but another part of me is scared to. What if they don't like me?" she replies.

"Baby, it's impossible to not like you. You're amazing. And sweet. And funny. And kind. Anyone would be lucky to call you their daughter," I say with a smile.

"They really wanna meet me?" she asks.

"Yes, they can't wait. They're only one phone call away, Steph. But I want to make sure you're ready and you're sure that you want to do this. I don't want to rush anything, we've been through a lot lately," I say.

I wanted her to meet her parents. Background checks confirmed that they were lovely people, but I needed Steph to be mentally ready for this. I didn't want to push her into anything and then have a breakdown in front of them because she can't handle it. She's strong, I know that for a fact, but with everything we've been through, everything she went through, I need to do this on her terms and when she's ready.

"I think-I think I want to meet them," she says, a little unsure of herself.

"Are you sure? You don't have to rush into this if you're not-," I start when she cuts me off.

"If I'm not ready. I know, babe. You've said that a million times. What happened to me isn't going to magically go away. It's going to be a part of me for the rest of my life. But I don't want to be the type of person that locks herself in her room afraid to step outside again because something bad happened. Bad things happen all the time. No one can control that. So instead of laying around depressed, I'm going to move on with my life. Sure, I'll be a bit more cautious and always have my guard up, but these are my parents, my real parents. I would be a terrible daughter to make them wait for so long," she replies.

"I see where you're coming from. Do you want me to give them a call now?" I ask.

"Yes, please," she replies.

"Alright. It's gonna have to be late at night so we can avoid the press. If you go to pick them up, they're gonna bug you again," I reply.

"No. It's time I finally get back out there and give them some sort of statement so they can leave me the hell alone," she replies.

"You're sure?" I ask.

"I'm sure," she says with a small smile.

"Alright, I'm gonna go call them," I say, giving her a kiss on the forehead and grabbing my phone. Dialing her parent's home phone number, I wait for them to pick up. After one ring, they answer the phone.

"Hello?" a woman says

"Hi, is this Mrs. Lynn?" I ask.

"Yes, this is she. Who is this?" she asks.

"Carter. Carter Mason. We spoke over email a little while back," I say, hoping she would remember.

"Oh! Carter! Yes, yes. I remember now. Honey, it's Carter Mason on the phone. I think he might have news on our daughter. You do have news on our daughter, right?" she says.

"Yes, I do," I say with a chuckle.

"Put it on speaker," I hear a man say. Most likely her father. "Ok, you're on speaker," he says.

"Alright. Well, Steph and I were just talking and she would like to meet you. What's the nearest airport to your house?" I ask.

"Oh my! She wants to meet us! Did you hear that, Frank? Our daughter wants to meet us!" her mother exclaims, clearly excited.

"I would be able to hear better if you weren't screaming in my ear and jumping up and down," her father says with a laugh.

"The nearest airport to our house is Port Kingston International Airport. Why?" her mother asks.

"I'm going to send my private jet there to pick you guys up and fly you here. I'm also going to send one of my guys to drive you to the airport, so I'm going to need your address as well," I reply.

"Oh, sure. We live at 760 Maple Lane Road. We're going to start packing our bags. When should we expect the guy who is picking us up to arrive?" her father says.

"Around 7:30. Once you get to the airport he'll bring you to my private jet and we will see you here in New York tomorrow,' I reply.

"Oh, how wonderful!" her mother exclaims.

"Is there anything else we need to know?" her father asks.

"Not that I could think of at the moment. Let me see if Steph has anything she wants to add," I say, walking back to our bedroom. "Babe, I'm on the phone with your parents, is there-oh, you're asleep. She fell asleep, but I don't think there is anything else you need to know. The same driver that is picking you up will bring you to a hotel and we will go from there. Any questions?" I ask.

"No, I think we're good to go. See you soon!" her mother says.

"See you," I say, hanging up the phone.

My baby was finally getting back on her feet. I still felt bad for her though. She didn't deserve what happened to her. No one should have to go through that. But right now, more than ever, she needs her best friend. But Tara who seemed like such an amazing and nice person turned out to be a complete bitch in the end and made everything about her. The audacity of some people I tell you.

All that aside, I was happy my baby was finally getting better. Tomorrow is another day.

-------------------------------

Short chapter, I know. Another update soon to follow. Thank you guys for supporting this book, it means the world to me :)