Chapter 22: Don't Dance Away the Pain

I heard the tires screech as Five pulled in next to the Academy. The moment the car came to a stop, my brothers jumped out and rushed Allison inside, while Five came over to my side of the car and got me out, grabbing my hand to drag me in. I still couldn't completely process what was going on, and as a result, had all the composure and coordination of a limp noodle. However, my mind started to come back to me as we entered the old Infirmary and Mom began to evaluate Allison.

"She's suffered a severe laceration to her larynx," she informed all of us. "One of you will need to give blood."

"I will," All five of us stated at the same time. Immediately, I glared at Five and pointing an accusatory finger at him.

"You've lost way too much blood these past few days. I'm not sure you can handle losing anymore."

"I'd caution against you donating, either, Miss Mina," Pogo warned as he limped closer. "Although you are making improvements, you are still not physically healthy enough to safely donate blood." I shrugged my shoulders, pretending I didn't feel more guilt attack me.

"Fair enough."

"I'm doing it," Luther stated, acting as though we all should have known that already.

"I'm afraid that's not possible, dear boy. Your blood is more compatible with mine." I could see the moment Luther's ego took a hit. Pogo was completely right, but I could tell Luther wanted to be the hero who swooped in and saved the day, so the fact he was helpless in this scenario must have killed him on the inside.

"Hey, don't sweat it," Klaus tried to reassure him. "I--I got this big guy. I--I love needles." He smacked the crook of his elbow, as though that would somehow help.

"Master Klaus. Your blood is... How shall I say this? Too polluted."

"Move," Diego ordered, pushing the rest of us aside so he could stand next to Mom. He rolled up his sleeve confidently, keeping a brave face for now. There was just one problem...

The moment Mom pulled out the needle and presented it to Diego, his face went pale, and he let out a single whimper before collapsing to the ground, unconscious. I suppose it was the thought that counted, but the fact he'd been so dedicated to the cause he forgot his own phobia honestly impressed me a little. We all stared at Diego on the floor for a moment, contemplating what to do.

"Stick him." My eyes widened, and I stuck my hands up in surrender.

"Remind me never to piss off Pogo," I muttered.

Grace inserted the needle into Diego's arm and twisted the tube in, beginning to draw blood from his vein. We all stood there and watched for a while, but slowly, the images came crawling back. The dead faces appeared in front of my eyes, taunting me with what I could have done. I started to hyperventilate, causing my conscious siblings to look my way in alarm. My brain started to scream, every little piece of me gave up on whatever little progress I had made. I needed to go do this, get my mind off of things and fix it all.

I pushed Klaus out of the way as I sprinted down the hall, ignoring the shouts of my siblings. If I ran fast enough and locked the door, there was nothing they could do.

"Mina!" Luther shouted.

"Mina, get back here! Don't do this!" I heard Klaus beg.

"You guys stay here, I've got this."

I'd just barely reached the door, when Five jumped right in front of me and pushed me backwards. I stumbled a bit, but as I regained my balance, a sort of strength surged through me, and I clenched my fists as I stared him down.