birthday party part 1

It had been three days since Clara and Nick had slept together. She hadn't told anyone, she didn't want to in the beginning. But now she felt like she was going to go insane if she kept it to herself any longer.
         Clara was sitting in her own floral print bed, right next to Ellis. Ellis had been explaining something that happened in class that day for a while now. Clara hadn't been paying attention. She felt guilty, but she couldn't. She stood up and opened her door, checking if anyone was close. She shut it and joined her on the bed again. Ellis had stopped talking the second she stood up. "I had sex with Nick." She whispered "Sorry for making this about me... I just need to tell someone."
         Her friends eyes widened "No, it's fine. Were you... safe?" She asked. It was clear she was shocked.
         "Yes, of course." She nodded "I mean, Its not a huge deal... but it is a deal. He's great, and I love him. So, I'm good." She smiled. Ellis took her hand and squeezed it.
         They talked about it for a few more minutes before switching the topic to Nick's birthday party on Saturday.
         "Are you going?" Ellis asked. She was picking at a bag of Cheetos.
         "Well, yeah, he's my boyfriend. My mom is fine with it. She just wants me back by one at the latest." Clara explained.
           Ellis nodded, swallowing her Cheeto before talking. "I don't think I'll go. I have a lot of studying to do. Plus it's not really my scene."
           "I get it. Id much rather go to dinner with him, but it's his choice." She shrugged.

Saturday, September 8th.
           Clara was in her room, getting ready for Nick's party. She was standing in front of her mirror, pulling half of her hair into a low half-up-half-down hairstyle. She changed into a rusty pink dress with ruffled sleeves and a sweetheart neckline. She put her platform sandals on and sprayed herself with her perfume. She walked downstairs and grabbed her purse. She walked out with her mother, who was driving her.
          They pulled up to his house and Lexie parked. She grabbed both of Clara's hands. "Okay, if you need a ride, call me. I don't care if it's three am. You don't get in a car with a drunk kid, okay?"
          "Mom, I know. And be home by one, don't drunk too much, don't do drugs... I know." She replied and Lexie squeezed her hands.
           "I love you." She kissed her hands before drawing hers back.
           "Love you too." She said, reaching for the lock on the door. She got out and walked up to the house. She didn't bother knocking before entering. She walked into the kitchen where she figured she'd find Nick.
           "Hi, birthday boy." She smirked. She tried to talk over the music. She put her hand on his forearm, running it up and down. "Happy birthday, baby." She kissed his cheek. Nick smiled and poured her a drink. He handed it to her. "Anything happen while I've been gone?"
          "Not really. Tyler brought his girlfriend Anne- or Anna.... Annie, maybe? Anyway, they won't stop making out. Mason brought Julia, but she's been ignoring him and flirting with all the girls. I'd stay away from Lauren, she's shit-faced and spreading rumors." He sighed "This sucks."
         Clara frowned. She grabbed another red solo cup and filled it with vodka and cranberry sprite. "This will help. C'mon." She linked their arms and tugged him into the living room.
         Many, many, drinks later, both Clara and Nick were very drunk. They were standing by the stairs, talking and kissing. Mostly kissing. "Hey, lets go upstairs." Nick said in between soft kisses from Clara.
        "I'm having fun down here." Clara slurred.
        "But we could have a lot more fun upstairs." Nick pulled on her arm, starting to walk upstairs. She was too drunk to think straight, and so they snuck upstairs to Nick's room.

- + -

       Clara stumbled out of a Nickolas' house at twelve-thirty. She had sloppily thrown a scarf around her neck to cover her new hickeys, but there wasn't much covering. She basically fell into Ellis' car. Ellis pushed her upright and buckled her up. "Jesus, what did you drink in there?"
        "Uh.. I dunno. Everything?" She giggled.
        Ellis' eyes darted to her neck, then back to her makeup smeared face. "Your parents can't see you like this." She sighed "You're coming with me." She pulled out of the driveway and started to her own house.
         Once there, Ellis helped Clara get changed and into bed. She pulled her phone out and texted Lexie. Clara is spending the night. It was too dark and I was too tired to drive her home. I'll bring her home early tomorrow. To which she got no reply. Lexie was already passed out on the couch. Ellis climbed into her small twin bed next to Clara. She wrinkled her nose at the alcohol stench coming from her. "You're a dumbass, you know that?" She whispered, turning away from her and tried to fall asleep.