Chapter 41 - Manal

Today was Friday, I woke up with a migraine. I wasn't even able to pray Fajr properly and after that I went back to sleep until Amani's high pitched voice woke me up - she was looking for one of her school socks. Thus, I helped her searched for it before squashing two pills of Paracetamol from their container and heading to the kitchen to swallow them. Just as I was about walking into the kitchen, my mother, Nafisah, and Asiyah walked out with food bowls and some tablewares with them. They obviously had finished cooking breakfast already. I greeted them and walked into the kitchen. The weather was so cold yet I opted for a cold water from the freezer to swallow the pills with. After taking the pills, I leaned on the cabinet and began thinking about my husband. It had been days since I left him.

Ever since I left Idris' house I couldn't stop thinking about him, most especially when I was with Amani. She would always ask about him and also the day we would be returning back home but, all I would say to her was; "He is fine" and "Home? Soon" respectively. I had so much wanted to return back to his house but both my parents didn't agree, they said he must come and apologise first - something he did not show any sign of doing. I feared for my marriage, I never wanted anything of this nature to happen to me. I should have controlled my anger. I really should have...

"Manal, is everything okey?" My mother pulled me out of my trance, she had returned back to the kitchen to take the remaining tablewares.

"I am fine" I said managing to smile.

"Fine? I don't think so" She protested.

"Hmm, okey it's just a migraine" I huffed.

"Migraine?" She wrinkled her brows.

"Yes, Mama. And I took pills already" I said.

"Pills? In an empty stomach?" She queried.

"Hmm, ye..." I was saying when she cut in.

"Lets go, you need to eat breakfast" She said.

"Okey" I said and trailed her to the dining room where the whole family was eating.

Just as I sat close to Amani and was about to eat, I began feeling the wrenching of my gullet perhaps due to the intense aroma of the food. And before I knew it, I was already about to outburst. Hence, I covered my mouth and ran to the guest section's toilet which was nearby.

I retched and bent over the toilet bowl with pain and nausea twisting my stomach. Thus, I regurgitated into the bowl like I would throw up my intestine. "Manal, take it easy dan Allah" My mother said as soon as she stepped into the toilet. "Easy and slowly, yes... a hankali please"

And just as I was done, I turned on the tap and washed my mouth and face. "Zan mutu, Mama. My head is... is paining me too much" I uttered.

"Sorry, you need to see a doctor" She said.

"Doctor?" I puzzled breathing vigorously due to paroxysm while trembling. "No, I just need some antibiotics from the Pharmacy, that's all"

"Antibiotics? And since when did Idris taught you how to treat your own self?" She queried.

I ought to laugh but I couldn't even smile.

"Mama, just send Farouq to Garima Pharmacy. Tell him to..." I was saying when she intruded.

"Manal, stop it!" She yelled at me. "I am driving you to the hospital because something is telling me this isn't just malaria but... but pregnancy!"

Her words dropped my jaw, pregnancy? I was so astonished. I went and got myself prepared hence she drove me to a private hospital. I was checked, tested... and guess what? My mother was right, I was pregnant. That moment, only God knew how happy I was despite the fact I wasn't fine. I shed tears of joy as the doctor handed me my test result in a white envelope.

After treating me, the doctor prescribed some drugs for me and thus we drove back home. The whole house was so happy, while I rested in my room; they rejoiced in the living room.

******

In the night, just after eating dinner and taking my drugs I laid close to Amani on the bed and gently got myself into the blanket. It was cold and I wanted to sleep so badly but I couldn't. I kept thinking about Idris while staring at Amani as she snored. There was only one way for me to make Idris to come and get us, and that way was by breaking the pregnancy news to him. But, what if I called and he didn't pick?

I kept contemplating until finally, I decided to just call him. Thus, I stretched my hand to the bedside table and took my phone. Ya Allah, am I doing the right thing? I huffed and dialed his number. I was surprised that he picked the call without hesitation but, he refused to say a word. We stayed silent for like a minute or so before I finally decided to end the silence.

"Hi..." I gulped and continued. "I... I am pregnant" I stuttered in a very low tone.

"What?" He said, like he was so surprised.

"Yes, I'm pregnant" I said and just then I broke down into tears. I did not know why and how.

"Wow, it's a great news. Why are you crying?" He said in what really seemed like a whisper.

"I... I don't know" I said amidst sob.

"It's okey, my love. Everything will be alright, okey?" He uttered making me to feel relieved.

"Okey" I sniffed.

"Good, so how are you?" He asked.

"Come, if you want to know" I said and quickly ended the call. Just then, he sent me a message.

"Hmm, I know Baba is not happy with me, I know Mama is also not happy with me but I promise, babe, I am coming over tomorrow to get you back. I love you, Manal. I love you!"

With smile on my face, I kept the phone on the bedside table and slept peacefully. I was happy.

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Thank you for reading #InsideArewa

Hmmm....