Chapter One

I was going to surprise her. She thought that I was still stuck in meetings in Seattle, but I caught an early flight home after hearing my client talk about his family all week. He talked about his wife and newborn at every break in a business conversation and even managed to bring them up a few times during business. It wasn't until I started thinking about my future that I realized I wanted what my client had. I wanted a wife and children; I wanted a family. I was approaching my thirties and it was about time I settled down. I decided right there—in my hotel room—that I was going to fly home and propose.

I found a jeweler and bought the flashiest ring I could find. She loves flashy things. The next stop was the airport. I booked the earliest flight home but still wouldn't make it home until after nine pm. Right before I boarded my flight, I sent her a goodnight text. I can't wait to surprise her. We haven't talked about the future, but I know she'll say yes. Why wouldn't she?

After my flight finally landed, I headed straight to the restroom to freshen up. I looked in the mirror, fixed my suit and noticed my sharp eyes. I was starting to feel a little nervous. Should I propose more romantically? No. I don't do romance and she knows that. I left the terminal and headed to the pick-up area to wait for a taxi.

I hailed a cab and told the driver my address. It wasn't until I settled in the cab that I checked my phone. I had twenty-six text and five missed calls from her. I read the text first to figure out the problem. The first text wasn't meant for me, but my best friend instead. She was informing him that I wouldn't be home again tonight and that he should come back over. I shut my phone off and told the cab to take me to the closest bar.

This was not my scene at all. These people werewearing jeans, flannels, and jerseys. I can't remember the last time that Iwore jeans. The bartender was a young girl who had a baseball jersey on. Iordered a drink. She shot a questioning glance my way but handed me my drinkand walked away. I ordered another one. I heard them talking about a possiblesnowstorm, but I didn't care. I ordered another one. The cute little bartenderwas telling people they should probably head out, but I didn't care. I orderedanother drink. The lights flickered, but I didn't care. I ordered anotherdrink. Another drink. Another. I ordered another until everything went black.