62

Alan's POV

  I admit, I'm not fine.

  But saying that will just make me and the others more worried.

  I turned my attention from Chris and K to Daph's hand in mine. I gently rubbed the back of her hand with my thumb.

  I switched my focus to the machine monitoring my sister's heart rate. I'm not a doctor, but I think that it wasn't normal.

beep...
...

beep...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

beep...
...

beep...

...

...

...

...

...

...

...

beep...
...

beep...

...

...

  I hope she's gonna be okay.

  I turned my focus back to Daph, laying in the hospital bed, unconscious. I could feel tears forming in my eyes.

  I leaned over, still holding her hand. "Daph," I whispered in her ear, hoping she would wake up.

  No response.

  Well of course she had no response. She's unconscious. I'm such an idiot.

  I would kiss her, but not with everyone staring at me.

  So, I turned to the others.

  "Okay, just to make it clear, me and Daph are related by blood and distantly related by DNA so I think that it's fine to call her my sister, yeah?" I said quickly. Fiona, Anaielle, Chris, K and Dante nodded.

  "Well," Dante said. "You don't HAVE to be her brother. You could choose to be a cousin or..." His voice trailed off.

  "I don't wanna say it," Anaielle started, trying not to laugh. "But, you could choose to be her uncle..."

  I cringed at the thought.

  "Or maybe you could be her new dad," Chris laughed.

  In my head, I was like 'hell nah,' but out loud, I just said, "Thanks a lot, Chris, you scarred me for life."

  I continued. "So, technically I can treat her like close family, so technically I could I don't know maybe kiss her not on the lips but like I'm gonna make sure Vii's okay with that too but yeah? Yes? Okay I'm glad everyone's on board with that," I said really fast, answering my own question on behalf of everyone else in the room.

  Everyone just looked at me, confused.

  "Did anyone hear what that guy just said?" Chris asked.

  "No," K replied.

  "Sorry," Anaielle shook her head.

  "Nope," Fiona shrugged.

  "I didn't hear anything," Dante scratched the back of his neck.

  I smiled to myself.

  I lightly kissed her forehead in hopes of  waking her up.

  I didn't think that anyone would notice, but BOY WAS I WRONG! (who remembers that meme?😂)

  Chris, K, Dante, and even a few first aid Walkers gathered around, taking and posting pictures (or videos. Or quite possibly memes). Even Fio and Anaielle had their phones out.

  Then, I got a text from Vii. Shit.

  I didn't read the text because I knew what it was gonna say. I just replied with:

im sorry i promise i can explain

Seconds later, she sent:

Vii <3
did you even read my texts?

I scroll up, and see:

Vii <3
*photo of me kissing Daph from a random Walker's Instagram profile*
so cute

Vii <3
wait, why are you in the medical room again? are you okay? is she okay?

Vii <3
before you start thinking I'm mad at you, I swear I'm not mad, because #1 I luv you and #2 I understand that you luv your sister too

Me
im sorry i promise i can explain

Well then.

So, I sent:

Me
sorry for being sorry ig..? lol

Vii <3
you don't have to be sorry

Me
im sorry for being sorry about being sorry

Me
now im turning into a canadian lol

Vii <3
Speaking of Canadian, how is your Canadian?

Me
what?

Vii <3
Daph is/was Canadian

Me
oh... um... well... idk honestly ;(

Vii <3
Can I do anything to help?

Me
no not rlly, maybe u could bring us a couple hoodies or somethin

Vii <3
mine or yours?

Me
mine might be a better choice

Vii <3
k ill be right there

Me
thx

  I sighed, relieved that Viivi wasn't mad, and also relieved that the crowd had thinned, and the only people left in the room were K, Chris, Dante, Fio, Anaielle and I.

  And obviously Daph.

  Not counting her if we're talking about the only guaranteed alive people in the room. Stop thinking dark thoughts Alan, she's alive, I thought.

  I checked the machine monitoring her heart.

beep ...

...

...

beep...

...

...

...

...

..

beep...

and then I heard nothing.

  No, this can't be the end. It won't be, not like this, I thought, panicking.

  Luckily, I heard another beep, and then the machine fell silent. She isn't dead, and she isn't alive, but she's dying.

  "No, Daph, stay with us, it's okay," I said quietly, knowing that she won't hear me. But it's not too late to try. Or maybe it is. I don't even know anymore. I couldn't hold my tears back any longer. Tears blurred my vision as I turned to look at Chris, K and Dante.

  "C'mon, stay strong, Walkers are strong," I said to my sister through tears.