"It's okay, Eros. You will love me sooner or later," she confidently said, with her thick eyelashes batting at me.

You're wrong, my brain answered. I chose not to argue with her statement. I didn't want to pursue the issue anymore.

I took Kendra home. The truth that I didn't love her had no effect on her behavior towards me. She still clung like a leech! And this time, she became more aggressive.

This should stop before she will expect too much from me. She crossed the boundaries we set in our relationship. She even looks determined to take it to a higher level.

"Kendra, we should stop seeing each other. It's time to part ways."

"Why? You found another f*ck buddy? HA! Men don't discard me, Eros. I discard them. I'll be the one to call a halt, not you. Remember that." She suddenly went out of the car and banged the door forcefully.

Damn, this is my favorite car. I gritted my teeth, when she left.

She was furious. Good! It was better that way. I hoped she would leave me alone now.

I was watching Jade on the TV screen, sleeping. She looked so tired. I continued observing her while I put on my white Tshirt and trousers.

Yeah, I pitied her, waking up so early to come here for work. But that was her job. She was well paid for it. Work should be valued. It was a blessing and a commitment that one should take seriously.

I may be rich. But still, I rose early, worked hard and stroke a business opportunity. That was my formula for success. 

I checked the time on my watch, it was 8 a.m. I went out of my room and strode directly to the kitchen. Then, I saw Jade, sleeping quietly. Her arms pillowed her head on the counter table.

I observed her for a while, studying her face while sleeping. My thoughts suddenly drifted to the past.

No. She couldn't be her.

I went to the fridge and took some eggs and sausages. Yup, I cooked my own breakfast, sometimes dinner. I enjoyed the liberty of scanning the fridge and choosing my own meal. I was a big man with a big appetite; besides, I was conscious of what I ate. That was part of keeping fit and healthy.

After I toasted some bread and fried the eggs and the sausages, I put the food on the kitchen table. My breakfast was ready, except for my coffee. I was really anticipating the taste of my coffee since I woke up.

I looked at Jade, and she was still sleeping peacefully. I went closer to her to wake her. Then, I noticed the high-tech CCTV camera blinked with a faint screeching sound and moved slowly to focus. Damn!

"Where's my coffee, Miss Collins! I've been calling you in the intercom, three times already," I lied. "I don't tolerate my employees sleeping while at work!"

Her eyes suddenly open wide. Shock and terror were visible on her face. She immediately scrambled off her seat and rubbed her eyes, fixing her hair and her dress.

"I... I'm sorry, Mr. Petrakis. That won't happen again... promise."

"Make sure you keep your word, because next time I'll caught you sleeping, you will be automatically fired."

"Er... I won't do that again, sir... I swear." She was flushing with embarrassment.

I nodded and went to the kitchen table to sit down. "I want my coffee now."

"Yes... yes sir." She replied and ran towards the coffee machine.

I started eating my breakfast while waiting for my coffee. After about three minutes, Jade put my coffee in front of me. The aroma of the coffee was glorious and delicious. It gave me a very pleasurable feeling.

Jade's POV

"Sit."

Huh? What did he say? "Er... what, sir?" I asked him again, making sure that I heard right.

"I said, sit." He said again, pointing at the chair in front of him. Hmph! I suddenly remembered dad saying Sit! Doggy, sit! When he was trying to teach, Shaggy, my dog to sit down.

Just like an obedient dog, I sat in front of him, at the kitchen table.

"Eat." He said, pushing me a plate of two toasted slices of bread, an egg, and two sausages.

My temper suddenly rose. He was talking to me in monosyllables like I was a dog or a toddler. I thought he was so smart and had studied at an exclusive school. Where are his manners?

"No, thank you. I... I'm not hungry. I already had my breakfast."

He suddenly put down his spoon and fork, then glared at me. "And what time was that?"

"Um... around 3:30 a.m."

"It's already 8 o'clock Miss Collins. Stop talking and eat," he firmly said and continued eating his breakfast.

I slowly took the spoon and fork. I felt so awkward, having breakfast with my boss. I looked at the food... hmmm... it smelled so delicious and my stomach suddenly gurgled.

This was really embarrassing. Mr. Petrakis caught me sleeping in my first day of work. I wondered why Doris didn't wake me up when she cooked his breakfast.

I ate my breakfast with gusto. I didn't realize I was so hungry. I was halfway  done when I noticed him watching me, while sipping his coffee. With a swift glance, I looked at him then at his plate. It was empty. 

This is getting so weird. Why am I eating breakfast with my boss?

"You should eat plenty, you are so thin. You can't perform your job well with an empty stomach." Preach! Oh my goodness, and he was even looking at me like I was a stray pet, eating his scraps. 

I didn't have a choice but to stay quiet. He was my boss, and I was at his mercy. I need the job or else, my family and I would starve. But -  if only... if only I had a choice...

Be calm Jade... take a deep breath, I said to myself.

I was surprised when he suddenly stood up and said, "When you're done. You can go."

What? I'm done here? My eyebrows lifted up in surprise.

"Sleep early tonight, so you won't be sleeping at work tomorrow."

"Er... yes, sir."

He nodded and immediately left me alone in the kitchen.

This story is now available on YONDER, your next-generation reading app from the Wattpad family

Join me on YONDER today! Find it now in your app store.

https://yonder.onelink.me/6vpb/46a0c21e

icon lock

Show your support for Neilani Alejandrino, and continue reading this story

by Neilani Alejandrino
@sweetdreamer33
Officially now a series! Watch it for free on MediaCorp's Youtube Cha...
Unlock a new story part or the entire story. Either way, your Coins help writers earn money for the stories you love.

This story has 73 remaining parts

See how Coins support your favorite writers like @sweetdreamer33.