Chapter 26 ❧ Finale: Heroes Assemble

Start from the beginning

"Fantastic! Wasn't that easy?" Easy does it- I'm almost there.

"Shall I arrange an escort to pick you up?" Nathalie ignores my previous comment.

"Not at all, but I expect a warm welcome." I walk towards the gate, to the screen built into the wall and wave at the CCTV camera.

To my surprise, the Gorilla escorted me inside, he greeted me with his signature gruffness and it was as if he was pushing me towards my execution through a death march. Regardless, I flashed him my brightest smile. I don't want to show weakness like how terrified I actually am to return back to the heart of my struggle.

He led me to an unsmiling Nathalie and she merely nodded at me. She brought me to the hidden elevator to the underground base while the Gorilla remained outside  the room, keeping his guard up. He's probably suspicious- that I might have a trick up my sleeve- which I do.

"Further down the rabbit hole we go," I mumble under my breath. As Nathalie and I ride the lift to the lowest level. I've only had the honour to visit this area a handful of times, but without fail it evoked a dreadful feeling that stuck to me even after I've already left. The lower the lift dropped, the darker our surroundings became. It's like using Oblivion too many times that my vision becomes darker.

"Sel! I've missed you so much," Lila still dressed as Volpina greets me when the lift doors open. When I pass by her in ignorance, she grabs my arm to stop me. "I've been imagining ways to strangle you."

"Really? I've never spared a second to think about you," I snap haughtily. It's worth it when her smirk morphs into a scowl- knowing I've gotten under her skin.

"You'll shut up once my fist-"

"I'm not here to fight," I interrupt. "If you so much as lay a finger on me, I'll withdraw and the deal is off." I still can't believe Gabriel let him stick around. She may be useful to him but she's overly obnoxious and severely narcissistic.

"It's...lovely to see you again, Selene," Gabriel's voice echoes loudly in the underground. "But I am, admittedly, disappointed of how you turned out."

"Mr Agreste, or is it Hawkmoth?" The infamous super villain unhurriedly climbs down a spiral steel staircase leading up to his butterfly garden. His footfalls elicit even louder noises against the metal.

"Where did you take my son?" He demands. A pang of hurt stings my chest but I brush it off. Even after all this time, it's still unpleasant to know he never quite accepted me as family.

"I've said it before; I have no idea. If I did, I would have used him instead of the superheroes' miraculous in exchange for what I want," I lie. "I came here fir Luka and his miraculous."

"I had large expectations for you. I raised you alongside Adrien but his obedience never rubbed off on you. You could atleast be thankful you had a roof above your head."

I shake my head furiously. "I'm grateful- I really am- but someone has to stand up and say to your face that what you're doing is wrong."

My hands begin to tremble and I flinch when I meet his eyes. "Let Emilie sleep in peace. Do you think something good would come in waking the dead? She won't be the same!"

"Don't reason with me, Selene. I've heard it all before. Nothing can stop me from getting back the one I love. It wasn't her time just yet. I thought you shared my views."

"I did," I confess. "But someone opened my eyes and I realised that what is best for all of us to heal. Stop living in the past because we have to move on."

"That's enough!" I jump back, even Nathalie and Volpina are frightened at his sudden outburst. He extends an empty palm. "You can't stop the inevitable. Now give me the miraculous."