Chapter 16 ❧ Midnight Incident

A few days after the incident, I had to return back to my normal routine. Gabriel never gave me any criticisation while Nathalie let me go off the hook. They probably considered the battle as another one of Hawkmoth's many defeats.

As Nathalie dropped me and Adrien off at school I felt apprehenseful of what's to come. I have a mild sensation that something terrible is about to unravel. Maybe it's because that I would see and have to tolerate Lila in class today.

However, the main problem may be that I might run into Luka since it was only recently that he started going to the same school as I do. I just finished wrapping my head around the idea that all long, Luka is working for Master Shou. It answers the mystery as to how Luka knew everything about my bat kwami- Master Shou propbably told him and thought Luka could get through me to take my miraculous.

This answer only elicited more questions. Was Luka on to me since the very first day we met? It would answer why he suddenly appeared at the Agreste mansion when Gabriel was akumatized. Was he not genuine this whole time? His music felt real- the aura he emitted when he gave me comfort felt all too real. Despite this, I really couldn't bring myself to despise him.

Well because- admitting it now seems stupid- but he was just too likeable! He wasn't perfect like a deceiver would try to be. Once he was so addicted to playing his guitar that he completely tuned me out, or when he would chuckle and be amused of my issues- especially about Lila.

To simplify, I just feel hurt like I lost a friend- one I sincerely cared about in a strangely different way from Adrien. Whatever I'm feeling...it's frustrating.

Grimm vehemently stated that I do things one at a time so, pushing Luka aside for now, I need to resolve my issues with Lila. That means to get her nose out of my business. I just know she has something up her sleeve but I would be prepared for it.

The first half of school goes by without any issue. Juleka and Rose almost murdered me with a suffocating hug. Marinette ran up to me, face red and fumbling for words, and gushed how Adrien personally called him. I never saw Luka, Lila didn't even acknowledge my presence and best of all, Chloe is sick so she didn't come to school.

But a problem occurs during lunch. I ask as I go up to him, "Nino, where's Adrien?"

"Dude, he went into the bathroom and hasn't come out since then," Nino says, pointing a thumb to the lavatory behind him.

I narrow my eyes. "What did you feed him?"

He puts out his hands in vindication. "Woah, I didn't do anything! It must have been the cafeteria food- you know, I shouldn't have trusted those hotdogs."

I look at him reproachfully. "Well, it can't be helped, I guess. I came to remind both of you that though Adrien is going to your house, it doesn't mean both of you should forget curfew."

"Yeah, I got it. He'll be home by six," he says, tipping his cap for dramatic effect. "You're acting like his dad. You can chillax since all we're doing is playing videogames."

"His dad would kill me and I prefer the term concerned sister," I say with full confidence. One thing I managed to resolve is how I feel about Adrien. It's embarrassing to confess that I could confuse family and romantic affection so easily. After having a heart-to-heart with Marinette and consulting Grimm, I've rearranged my thoughts and gained some new perspective.

I was about to say more, but I hear a commotion at the next table. I would have ignored it, if it wasn't for the words "bat" and "super villain" mixed in to the conversation. I spot a group of my classmates crowding around Alya with her phone up and playing a video. I nudge Nino and gesture to them. "What are they up to?"