Leighton Vander Esch

"Hey, Lae! Blake is here!"

"Shit!"

I rushed up to grab some shoes as I pulled my hair up into a ponytail. I grabbed my slip on Nikes and my work bag and rushed downstairs.

"Sorry! I didn't hear my alarm this morning. Thanks for the ride though."

"No problem, its not like you take long to get ready." He laughed it off.

"Let's get to practice before we're late, coach'll make you run."

"Ain't that you?"

"Yup, so let's get moving."

I am the Tight Ends Coach for the Dallas Cowboys, and I had become close to a lot of the players because of it. Especially Blake Jarwin, he is like a brother to me. I'm thankful for him on days like today when my car's at the shop and my sister can't give me a ride.

When we get to the Star in Frisco, I am greeted by the new head coach Mike McCarthy.

"There's my girl. You ready for today's practice?"

"Yes sir, got some new plays to try and then some conditioning for these guys."

"That's what I like to hear." Jerry Jones came up behind us. Guess he was gonna observe practice today.

"How are you, Mr. Jones?"

"Call me Jerry, and I am doing just fine Ms. Edwards. Thank you for asking. Work 'em hard out there for Sunday's game. The Packers are not an easy team to beat, especially on opening day."

"Yes sir, sorry coach. Your old team is going to eat some turf."

"Heh, yeah I fully expect them to. Let's get going, we have a practice to run."

When we get to the field, I see the guys huddled and a few of them throwing a football around. I feel someone behind me and I spin around to see none other than Leighton Vander Esch.

"Hey! How are you?"

"I'm alright, whatcha' got planned for Jarwin and the Brady Bunch today?"

"I wanna try out some new things and condition a little for Sunday. It's only two days away."

"You will get them in shape. I know it." He flashed me a small smile before he was called over by Jaylon so they can start.

"Hey, let's go! We're gonna run some new routes today, give those cheeseheads something to talk about."

We ran routes for the first half of the day and then did some leg and arm conditioning until about 4:30.

"Hey, guys! Bring it in. You guys did great today, no complaints from anyone. Thanks to the smoothness of practice, I'm in a great mood and I wanna reward you guys. Let's all get home early and get some rest for the game on Sunday."

We laid out our plans for the game and headed out as everyone else was starting to end their practices as well. I was gathering up my things and went to sit and watch the linebackers finish up their practice. 

"Kim! Come here, I want your opinion on something." The linebackers coach called me over.

"How does one get their players to get along as great as you do?"

"I honestly can't say, I just give them their drills, demonstrate with some players and correct any mistakes."

"Alright, boys practice is over, go get some rest so you can whoop some Packers on Sunday."

They all went their separate ways and I was going to head home with Blake who waited for me when I heard my name being called. I turn around to see Leighton Vander Esch with his hand up. 

"Hey, Leighton. What's crackalacking?"

"I was just wondering if you are doing anything tonight?"

"No, why?"

"There is a little get together at Sean's house and I was wondering if you wanted to go with me?" He looked down and put his hand on his neck. I took a step closer and took that hand in mine.

"I would love to go with you." I said genuinely while we were slowly getting closer to each other.

When we were mere centimeters away, he whispered, " Can I kiss you?"

I answered with placing my lips on his.