How to Appreciate Being Single

Well, Valentine's Day is right around the corner and for those of you who are still single (like yours truly), it's a special time to appreciate the ones who love you... Except that most of us girls tend to sink in melancholia as we watch the happy people in couples kissing and making googly-eyes at each other while we wonder why nobody loves us like that. I've realized a long time ago that some of us only long for a significant other in order to feel loved, but forget that there are already plenty of people who do, just not the romantic kind. While platonic love is very different and is usually considered less important than romance, I found that it's actually stronger (in some ways) than most relationships. Now wipe your tears, 'cause all you single ladies are about to get woke!

1. Me Time: It sounds pretty selfish at the beginning, but taking the time to focus on yourself in crucial before entering a romantic relationship with anyone. You see, humans have a thing called a personality and it may take years  before we feel confident in ours. Knowing yourself, your preferences, your morals and your beliefs means being grounded in our identity. Some people mistakenly associate themselves with only one of their many personality branches (for example: a specific gender, profession, ethnic/racial background). Never forget that you are so much more than one little thing.

2. Learning Time: You know what's great about being single? Getting to learn about the hows and whys of a good relationship so that you get a good idea of what a healthy one looks like. I find it sad when girls commit themselves to a partner who becomes abusive, neglectful or anything that's harmful to them. That's why it's so important to set barriers in advance and guard your heart. (And if you're a woman of faith like moi, pray daily for God to send you the best person He wants for you).

3. Party Time: Having so much time with yourself must have some advantages! Go out there and enjoy! Spend time with your friends and family members, volunteer at an animal or homeless people shelter (or both), re-read your favorite Wattpad stories and take the time to care for yourself, too!

And so, to all my fellow single ladies, old and young, may you never think that just because you're not dating anyone means that you're unloved or ugly. It just means that you have the opportunity to choose and examine which person is worth so much of your time and heart. You are all so special, beautiful and strong. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise :)

- MaeShaanaP