Unexpected Visitors

Comincia dall'inizio

Clary scoffed. "Please, such boring questions." She waved her extended hand flippantly and rolled her eyes. "I'm from the underworld of London, the other side of the coin, the thing that you lords and ladies," She spit out the word between her teeth, as if it were a curse, "Deem not appropriate to talk about. As to why I became involved in drug trade, the answer is simple." She looked bored, carefully observing the nails on her hand as she talked. "I wanted the rest of London to be in the same squalor as those of us who live in the shadows. I wanted them craving my drugs so badly, that they were willing to debase themselves, like the pigs they are, at my feet, wallowing in mud and shit as they begged me to give them more, more."

She paused, and I swallowed some of the hatred in my throat, just enough, to grind out, "And why Funtom? If you really wanted them to throw themselves at your feet, praise you as some sort of God, then why did you hide behind the Phantomhive Company Logo?"

"Ah, (F/N)." Clary smirked at me, pushing herself up from behind the desk, palms flattened on the wooden surface, as she leaned toward me, eyes sparking with something akin to amusement. "That's where it gets fun, you see. Because if I could take down London's bureaucracy, take them to their knees, make them see things from our level, that was one thing. But if I could manage to take down the Queen's own Guard Dog in the process, well." She held out her hands, fingers splayed, as if it were too obvious. "That would just be the cherry on the cake."

I felt Sebastian stiffen slightly, almost unnoticeably, beside me, at the mention of Ciel, and this time, it was me who rested gloved fingers on his forearm, the simple touch telling him to wait, to bide our time, for the right opportunity.

"Speaking of which." Clary walked around the desk, headed towards the door to the study, as she said casually over her shoulder, "I have a present for the two of you. I think you'll enjoy the little show I've put together." She paused at the doorway when we hadn't made a move to follow her, flicking her fingers in our direction as she said goodnaturedly, "Well, come on then. Follow me. I'd really rather you do this on your own, because I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good party by forcing my men to manhandle you."

She flashed us a dangerous looking grin, and when it was clear that she wasn't leaving the room without us, I let out a sigh, standing up from my chair, as Sebastian followed suit beside me.

As we trailed behind the small, petite figure of Clary, the only light the warm flickering from the candle she carried, through the winding darkened hallways of the Beauxgard Mansion, my apprehension grew stronger with each step.

Glancing at the tall, dark figure of Sebastian, perfectly in step beside me, I murmured softly, so only he could hear, the words drowned beneath the sound of our footsteps, "Sebastian, we can't trust her."

"It would seem that way." He replied, his own voice low and dark, his words like velvet, weaving through the silent, stale air that surrounded us. "However." He glanced over at me, his customary smirk tilting the corners of his lips, as his eyes flashed, brightly crimson, in the dim lighting of the hallway. "I believe we have no better option than to play along for now."

I sighed, knowing he was right, and gave him a curt nod, before letting my hand drop, unseen, to my thigh, my fingers stroking the dagger hidden their in a comforting and repetitive motion, as we continued to follow, silently, behind Clary.

Soon, our journey came to an end, as Clary paused outside a set of large, wooden doors, her hand pressed to the entrance, as she turned to look at us over her shoulder, her face hidden in the flickering shadows created by the candle held in her hand. "Here we are. I've prepared this little party especially for you. Please." She pushed open the door, which creaked on its hinges, and light spilled into the darkened corridor from the room beyond, illuminating her features, a slight smile on her lips, as she waved us to enter the room before her.