Chapter 21

Mount Justice
November 11, 16:05

Wally entered the cave just as Zeta Tubes went off-line. He didn't find anyone in the kitchen, but once he entered the lounge the lights suddenly came up and he was greeted by a birthday party.

"Guys! You didn't have to!" He then gave one look at the buffet. "On second thought, who am I to refuse such magnificent things." This earned a round of chuckle from everyone. Then, M'gann and Percy brought four birthday cakes. Two of them were blue.

"We had a little bit of an argument over who is to bake you a cake, so we ended up both baking some and you will be the judge." M'gann explained.

"Yeah. Apparently, Martians does not understand the superiority of blue food over all other food in existence. Alas, the time has come to show, that any meal in color of sky, sea and saphire is far better than normal-colored food." Percy sounded as if he was speaking straight from his heart. Wally mostly ignored the speech, instead eyeing the four cakes, each with two candles on them. There was a single '1' and '6' four times over.

"Guys. I am not turning sixty-four the last time I checked." This earned another round of chuckles. even Conner actually smiled at this one. Wally then quickly blew off all the candles.

"What was your birthday wish?" Robin asked.

"Dude. You can't just ask that." Percy scolded the boy wonder.

Artemis gave both of them a wide grin and walked over to Wally. "I think I can guess." She then pulled him into a passionate kiss, much to the surprise of everyone gathered. Once they broke away, the expression of utter bliss on Wally's face suggested that it was exactly what he wished for. After all what was better than getting a kiss from his girlfriend. The party continued for some time until suddenly a holo-screen featuring Captain Atom appeared.

"Team meeting in mission room in ten minutes. Be sure to put your winter outfit."

Once everyone gathered, Captain Atom displayed a satellite image of flying fortress spitting snow all around.

"Five of such machines are flying over the whole country right now, paralyzing the whole infrastructure. The league will require all the help we can get to bring them down. Neptune, Artemis. You will help Black Canary, Wonder Woman and Green Arrow take down the Ice Fortress One. Superboy, Wolf. You two will go to help Superman with Ice Fortress Two. Aqualad, Huntress and Miss Martian will help at Ice Fortress Three. Aquaman and Martian Manhunter will meet you there. Tempest, Zatanna. You are to support Captain Marvel and Red Tornado at Ice Fortress Four. Robin and Aquagirl will meet Batman, me and Flash at Ice Fortress Five."

There was only one problem. Wally walked from the line and stood in front of the screen. "Uh... Sir? I think you forgot about someone..."

"Negative. A young girl in Seattle desperately needs heart transplant. They found a donor in Boston, but with all conventional ways of transportation gone, you are needed to move it. Air traffic is impossible with the snow."

"What about Zeta Tubes?"

"Hey, KF. The tubes are down, remember?" Robin apologetically reminded.

Zoe stepped out of the line too. "Actually, I have a faster solution." This earned a questioning look from the rest of them. She proceeded to explain. "Moon Chariot is not impeded by weather or anything really. It is the physical manifestation of the idea of moon. I can get the heart there in less than half an hour."

Wally wanted to happily take her place and see some action, but then his ring started to pain him and an ominous voice spoke in his mind. 'You will take this assignment. Only you will be late. I do not care what you punk do, but the heart must not reach the girl. And don't get caught.' Of course his 'benefactor' had to ruin his birthday even more. He sighted.