96. friday, may 2018

Start from the beginning

Once everyone was in and in the kitchen, Luna opened the back door to give them some more room and to allow the smokers to still be included. Everyone mingled, either catching up after not seeing each other or just meeting and learning knew things about one another.

"I am going to make you the best cocktail you have ever had" Alex grabbed Luna's waist and yanked her towards him. He had already had a few drinks and it was clearly hitting him. Luna just melted into him and let him sway them side to side. She turned her head to the side and allowed him to smother her in kisses.

"Uh, Al, do you reckon I could borrow you for a sec?" Matt asked, looking rather nervous. Alex immediately nodded, kissing Luna again.

"Hold that thought." He muttered to her. She nodded and started mixing the drinks.

He followed Matt to wherever he wanted to go. He decided on standing outside so Alex closed the door behind them for privacy.

"What's up?" He asked, sitting on his new garden furniture. Matt sat next to him and sighed.

"Breana and I are getting a divorce." He confessed. Alex's heart plummeted into his stomach. This was the last thing he had ever expected to happen.

"Mate," he started but he couldn't finish. It had pulled away all his words. "Are you okay?" He put his hand on his back in hope of some sort of comfort.

"Not really. It's my fault." He sighed. Alex saw the heartbreak in his friend and hoped he could help somehow.

"Don't blame yourself. Sometimes these things just don't work out." Matt was already shaking his head to tell him he was wrong.

"I had an affair." He met Alex's eyes, there was so much guilt and pain in them. Alex's hand stopped moving as he sat in shock. Matt was the last one he had ever expected to do something like that. It rendered him beyond speechless.

"Matt..." he sighed, not sure what to say about that. Matt nodded at his reaction.

"I know. I don't know how I let it happen. I remember thinking when you and Luna first got together, you even think about hurting her I would fucking crush you and there I was hurting Breana everyday." He put his head in his hands so Alex just tried to comfort him again.

"When was this?" He asked. Matt rubbed his face harshly.

"Last week we decided. I told her about the affair a few weeks ago. She was not happy obviously, she's been in LA ever since." He explained. Alex chewed at his lip.

"Has she told anyone?" He asked. Alex was sympathetic but also curious of how this could have happened.

"Don't think so. I suppose she thinks I'll tell you, you'll tell Luna, who will reach out to her." He leant back against the chair and the two men stared at each other for a moment.

"I'm sorry." Was all Alex could think and say at that point.

"We don't all get it right first time I guess." Matt sighed. Alex shook his head but he wasn't sure whether he was agreeing or disagreeing.

"Do you regret it?" He asked. This was so new to Alex, he wouldn't dream of being with anyone else other than Luna. Of course, in past relationships there had been temptation where he had almost cheated but that's just how he knew he wasn't happy in that relationship.

"Yes. It has caused so much damage to our relationship regardless of how it was doing as well and it might be damaging to me when we discuss custody of Amelia." He met Alex's eyes and their hearts dropped together.

"Oh no." Alex gasped, bringing his fingers to his mouth and running them along his lips nervously. "Bre wouldn't try and take her away would she?" Alex adored that kid and to think she would be taken away from Matt almost broke his heart.