So yes, we were going to celebrate our Auggie in all of his glory, even if the rest of that room judged us as “ghetto.” We wanted that entire room to know that we celebrated him and weren’t ashamed to show it. If they knew his story, that entire room would be standing on their feet, applauding him for how far he made it.

August laughed and made a motion for us to tone it down. We did just a little so Dr. Caine could finish speaking, but remained standing.

“Mr. Alsina rose from academic probation to obtain a 3.7 G.P.A.”

“You bettah go Auggie!” Muk yelled.

“He attended additional classes on weekends to make-up for a mishap on the university’s part to graduate on time. All the while working as a dental assistant. He is a true man of character, ambition, and intelligence. Mr. Alsina on behalf of the University of Pennsylvania’s Dental School, we present you with the Ruben R. Hayes award for excellence in achievement. Would you come to the podium?”

August got up smiling and took his award from Dr. Caine. They hugged each other and Dr. Caine whispered something in his ear, and he shook his head and came to the podium.

“Y’all bettah stand up for Auggie shoot!” Muk yelled. We all laughed at her outburst.

A few in the crowd stood up and clapped. Including Stacy who was seated in the front rows with the rest of the graduates.

August just cheesed looking down, humbled by the honor. All of us beamed the brightest.

“Y’all can sit down now he said.” Chuckling a little.

“We love you Aug!” We all screamed before we sat down.

“Love you too.” He started turning a little red from blushing so much.

The room got quiet then Sata yelled on my lap.  “Prow u Pop-Pop.”

Aug chuckled. “Thank you Sata. That’s my daughter y’all.”

The crowd let out audible “Awws.” Some people in the crowd were annoyed and shaking their heads. So what!

Aug cleared his throat to speak.

“Umm, first off I want to thank Dr. Caine and the Board for finding me worthy of this award. I am honored and umbled(August’s never pronounces the H in the word humble.)” He looked back at the Board and the Deans of the dental school who were sitting in a row behind him.

“I hate giving speeches y’all so excuse me if it’s not perfect. That’s my woman’s thing, she’s the talker not me.”

I smiled and laughed a little.

“If you would’ve told me I was gonna be here two years ago, a year ago, a month ago even, I wouldn’t have believed it. Me as a person, I’ve gone through so much. Coming from the slums of New Orleans. Living through the brutal murder of my brother. A situation that I am still not over, nor will I ever get over. He was not only my brother, but he was my father. He’s the reason I made the decision to go to college in the first place, and I will forever be grateful to him. Mel wherever you are, know that I love you. I miss you. And will never forget your impact on my life.”

He bit his lip and paused, trying to hold in tears.

“It’s okay Aug!” Muk yelled.

He blushed. “I’m trying not to cry. So forgive me if I do. But umm, it’s so many people I got to thank. I’ll try to get through this quick, I know y’all ready to hurry up and graduate so we can all celebrate this day. I thank God first and foremost. For always having my back and never giving up on me, even when I deserved it.